Roulette

August 7th, 2017

It was a sunny day in National City.

Summer had arrived in full force and various businesses were temporarily closed due to the heat. There had actually been a brief spell of rain during the afternoon (the first form of precipitation in over two months), but now the scorching temperatures had returned, causing the many abandoned offices in town to turn into giant ovens. One of the few businesses that couldn't quite afford to take a break was L-Corp; since they were at the forefront of funding the reconstruction of the city after the Daxamite invasion and Lillian Luthor's assault just two weeks after that.

Lena Luthor had spent the last two months making sure that they did just that, not only out of a feeling of moral obligation, but also because she was pretty sure that if they didn't do their part, Kara would soon drop to the ground out of pure exhaustion trying to reconstruct the whole damn city by herself.

Lena was currently in her office, sweat sticking to her despite the air conditioning, while her mood was a stark contrast to the sunny disposition of the weather. She was ticking her nails on her desk while pressing her phone to her ear, as she stared intently at the link a certain idiot had just sent her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taSH_nZkRdw

"Hey! Lena!" the voice on the other end sounded. "What's up?"

"Winn, what am I looking at?" Lena grumbled.

Winn fell quiet for a moment. "Is that a riddle?" he asked confused. "Because it's a pretty unfair one, I must say. It's like what Bilbo pulled when he-"

"It's a legitimate question," Lena interrupted through gritted teeth. "A guy with your hacking skills should have better things to do than find a way around my spam filters, so I'll ask again: what the hell am I looking at?"

"Oh!" Winn laughed as he apparently seemed to catch on. "You mean the link I sent you? Well, it's pretty self-explanatory, right?"

Lena sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, because she really had better things to do. "There is nothing self-explanatory about some people doing a song and dance with puppets! For your information; I hate musicals! So what's the point of sending me this?!"

"First of all; I'm pretty sure that 'hating musicals' is some sort of horrendous disease and you should definitely have that looked at." He chuckled, while Lena rolled her eyes. "And about the link, it's just like the song says: If you were gay... that would be okay!"

There was a sudden cracking sound, as the pen in Lena's hand bent beyond repair. "I'm not gay!!" she exclaimed. "Why would you say that?!"

"I'm not dumb, I see things," Winn chirped in a way too cheerful tone, causing Lena's frustration to increase exponentially. "It wasn't that hard to put together, really. After the whole strawberry thing, I started thinking back about you and Kara and it just kind of made sense that-"

"There is no strawberry thing!!" Lena snapped, feeling more embarrassed by the second.

"You want me to call it something else? I mean, it's really not a problem since inventing great names is kind of my thing, BOSS."

"I'm not your boss."

"No, no, you're the BOSS; the Benevolent Overlord Saving Spectres."

Lena groaned loudly as she hung her head down. "I'm not in the mood for this, Winn. I'm not a hero and even if I was, BOSS would still be a silly name."

"Okay... rude," Winn grumbled. There was a moment of silence on his end. "Are you sure this is about the name?" Winn suddenly questioned. "Or are you still mad about that mistake we made after your birthday party?"