Ronald Maverick

(After 3x04)

September 21st 2017

"What do you mean, you went to Mars?!"

Lena's fork hovered in the air, as it was frozen halfway to her mouth while she gaped at Kara across the table. She briefly glanced around, as she probably shouldn't have asked that question so loudly in a crowded restaurant, but come on! Kara couldn't just drop information like that on her out of the blue! Kara held up her hand, signalling she would explain once she'd swallowed the gigantic bite of food in her mouth, while Lena was careful not to smudge her dress as she finally put down her fork. 

She was probably slightly overdressed for a friendly dinner (which was underlined by Kara's comparatively simple outfit), but having dinner with Kara at a fancy place was no longer something Lena felt comfortable going to without one of her killer dresses in tow. Because being out of the woman's league (and let's not forget; gender taste), did not mean she couldn't use her imagination. As in, 'imagine if this was an actual date'. Which is how she ended up wearing a two-thousand dollar deep red dress, while Kara sat across the table in her favourite brown pants and baby blue shirt. She knew it was pathetic, but whatever. Just let me have this one, alright?!

"Yeah," Kara started, having finally forced down her truckload of food, "J'onn needed some help back home and we even brought his father back to earth. Isn't it great?" She gave her a broad smile, and Lena just huffed out a laugh.

"And I thought my life was crazy," she commented as she returned her attention to her pasta while trying to process the concept of casual trips to distant planets.

"Ha! If you thought that was crazy, you should have seen my cult."

Lena's fork once again froze halfway to her mouth, as a single ravioli fell back onto her plate. "What- what do you mean, you started a cult?!"

"No, no," Kara laughed it off as she waved dismissively, and Lena decided to put her fork down until the woman was done with her casually proclaimed absurdities. "I didn't start it; it was run by this guy named Thomas Coville. He somehow got his hands on Kryptonian scriptures and decided that people should worship Supergirl instead of Rao. Hence the cult full of people that I saved at one point or another." Lena frowned as Kara seemed to shudder for a moment. "It was really surreal, you know? Seeing them all there... I didn't think I would, but... I remembered all of them." Kara huffed out a breath, seeming very serious as she leaned her chin on her hand. "It's kinda weird, but I guess when I save someone it's like... I don't know... like I can't forget their face anymore." She shrugged as she shook her head and returned to her food. "I guess that sounds weird," she laughed self-consciously.

Lena closed her eyes as she bit the inside of her cheek, because she'd almost blurted it out right then and there. She'd almost just blurted out that she understood perfectly. That it made all the sense in the world. That the faces of Rafael, Jimmy and Huang Fu were all permanently burned into her memory too. That when she'd gone to sign the NDA's at the DEO, she couldn't tear her eyes away from the picture of Rachel that was standing on Pam's desk. That the memory of Sam's hurt and betrayed face was the first thing on her mind when she'd learned about Snapper going on 'sabbatical'. Instead, Lena bit her tongue and settled for a more neutral response.

"I don't think it sounds weird," she gave Kara a gentle smile, trying to express her understanding through her eyes instead of her words, as she reached out to hold Kara's hand on the table. She maybe stared at Kara's beautiful blue eyes a little too long, and she abruptly retracted her hand when she realised that she was getting way too deep into the whole imaginary date scenario. "But maybe stay away from religious fanatics in the future, alright?" she laughed nervously as her heart kept beating too fast.