Veronica Sinclair

The clocks on the various computer screens in the DEO control room jumped to a second past midnight; the twenty-second of February turning into the twenty-third, while the whole building was bustling with activity.

Countless new inmates were temporarily occupying cells, and just about every agent was busy either cataloguing information about all the new arrests at the Cadmus warehouse or coordinating with the police on how and when to transfer them. The waiting area right outside of the DEO med-bay, however, was significantly quieter. Lena was sitting on one of the plastic chairs, a fresh band aid pressing a piece of cotton to her left shoulder, from where dr. Hamilton had just finished removing the Sentinel before moving on to Brian and Angela, both of whom were still being tended to in the med-bay at this very moment.

Lena was clasping her fingers together, carefully, her hands still hurting despite the bandages covering up the burns on her palms. They were superficial, thankfully, and according to dr. Hamilton they would heal within a week, which was a better fate than that of Angela's forearm or dr. Benson's whole upper body (second and third degree burns respectively). But Lena wasn't looking at her hands or at her patched-up shoulder. In fact, for the past ten minutes, she'd been staring solely at the occupant of the plastic waiting chair next to her own.

At Roulette, who was gazing tensely at the closed blinds of the med-bay.

"I don't understand," Lena finally spoke, tracing the ghostly woman from the hem of her red dress all the way to her eyes, her posture impeccably straight and her jaw clenched as she refused to look away from the blinds that were shielding them from whatever dr. Hamilton was doing.

"That makes two of us," Roulette muttered, a hard edge to her voice. Lena sighed pensively, glanced back at the blinds that the woman was fixated on, before gnawing on her lip and trying to figure out where they'd gone so horribly wrong.

"Okay, so... I guess I'll go first." Lena cleared her throat, still not gaining the attention of Roulette. "I thought you were helping Cadmus."

"How could I be helping Cadmus?!" Roulette snapped, that same fury in her eyes from earlier today as she finally graced Lena with her full attention, yet still whispering, as if she felt she was in an actual hospital. "No one can see me!!"

"Right." Lena frowned, the wheels in her head turning as the realisation hit that there'd been no one who could see ghosts helping Cadmus after all, no one with her same ability she had to square off against. And even though she was obviously relieved about that, there was a small part of her that felt disappointed at being the only one. The one and only person with this ability, as far as she knew. She shook her head, trying to refocus on the woman who was actually talking to her now. "But then why didn't you just... ask for my help?"

"I thought you were helping Cadmus!" Roulette bristled, still in that hushed tone, but her unmoving stare back in place, the stoic expression replacing her obvious anger as she returned to staring at the blinds of the med-bay.

"Oh." Lena huffed out a breath, unable to help the mirthless laugh that escaped her. "I guess we were both idiots, then."

"Speak for yourself," Roulette bit back, crossing her arms and her eyes still looking ahead. "You're a Luthor. You have a reputation, and I had a vision. What's your excuse?"

"Well, you did threaten to expose my secret and let me go insane. Not to mention..." Lena paused, thinking back over the madness of the past six months. "Meryl Evans," she offered, eliciting no response from the woman beside her. "They found her body at the Endless Winter Clinic? You were having her followed, so we thought-"