The Past - part II

March 20th 2007

"Oh, wow. Who made a cheesecake in the shape of a person?"

Lena looked up as she took her seat, seeing Veronica Sinclair's condescension seeping through her arrogant eyes. The small Luthor's nostrils flared and she emphatically unwrapped her sandwich, making it clear that she wasn't going anywhere, as the other girls at the large table snickered while looking at the glaring contest happening before them.

"If I'm a cheesecake, doesn't that make you the one who can't beat a dairy product to graduation?" Lena retorted, and Veronica scowled at her while the rest of the table kept looking on.

Lena wasn't sure when it had started, but by now it was almost routine: Veronica would make some snide remark about no one wanting her there, Lena would retort something about her being nowhere near as smart as her, usually pointing out that she would graduate sooner than the older girl, and the rest of the lunch inside Whittaker's Boarding School for Young Ladies would proceed with an air that was thick with tension and with hateful glares being sent between the two girls who couldn't stand each other.

Lena knew that it wouldn't take much to make this part of her life a lot easier if she just sat at another table during lunch. But she couldn't help it. She reasoned that it would be like giving up, like admitting defeat to the arrogant upperclassman.

Wait... upperclasswoman? Upperclassgirl? Whatever, she'd look it up later.

But in all honesty, she knew that it wasn't that. She knew that it was jealousy. And yes, Lena was very well aware that it wasn't proper; could you imagine what her mother would think? Lena swallowed as she adjusted in her seat, careful not to touch the chair with her lower back. It was strange too, because Lena had never thought of herself as being shallow. But the problem was that as long as she didn't open her mouth, Veronica was very pretty. You know, in that poised and dignified way that her mother was always on about. So yeah, Lena was jealous. That Veronica was all that, while she looked like a potato. A poorly peeled one, Lena though bitterly as she scooted her lower back a little closer to the chair.

So yeah, clearly that was why she kept coming back to the big table where the girl who was as poised and dignified as she was condescending and mean always sat. Clearly that was why she kept staring at her, with a false look of superiority in her eyes. It was unfair, Lena kept thinking. That cruel people were allowed to look like that.

Lena shivered as she watched Veronica's tongue dart out to lick some jam of her lips.

Tomorrow, she thought to herself. Tomorrow she would definitely sit at an other table.

Probably...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 4th 2017

The SunView Hotel was host to a wedding reception this weekend.

The establishment's name was also slightly ironic on this particular Saturday, as it hadn't stopped raining all morning. The majority of the guests had already arrived, ready for tonight's rehearsal dinner and the actual wedding the next day. Most of them had been surprised by the last minute change of location but, by request, they had not been told that the upgrade was thanks to a generous contribution to wedding expenses on behalf of a very wealthy CEO. The mentioned benefactor was currently in her assigned hotel room; one she had to share with her best friend. A fact of which a grin-wearing, eyebrow-wiggling bride had been more than happy to tell her about.