Jeremiah Danvers

November 5th 2017

Lena firmly believed that whatever you do, preparation is key.

She didn't feel prepared right now.

Despite clutching a letter addressed to Eliza Danvers in her right hand, written on Jeremiah's behalf at the crack of dawn (she'd narrowly avoided stepping on an empty glass when she got out of bed, which Kara must've left there). Despite their carefully laid out plan of telling Alex right now, while letting the rest of the world find out once they'd recuperated Jeremiah's body and pretended the letter had been found there. Despite the ghostly man flanking her as they stood in the brides' hotel room. Despite Winn standing by her other side ("What do you mean, why? For moral support!") while Maggie restlessly paced in front of them. Despite the detective repeatedly asking if she was sure, and that she was really sorry about calling her selfish. Despite James keeping Kara busy under the guise of getting some answers on the damn heating. Despite all that, Lena still felt woefully underprepared when Alex stepped out of the bedroom, wearing a jacket over her wedding dress as she rubbed her arms.

"I seriously can't wait to get to the church, I'm freezing my... ass..." Alex trailed off as she noticed the three living people that were standing in the middle of her room. "Winn?" she said slowly. "Lena?" she gave the youngest Luthor a curious look that was nothing like the wary and distrustful one she usually reserved for her, but Maggie was by Alex's side before she could dwell on it.

"Alex... we need to talk."

Alex gave her fiancée a frown. "Okay," she drawled, curiously glancing at all their grim expressions. "About what?"

"Come here, sit down." Maggie guided the woman to the couch, clasping her hand between her own as she sat down next to her, while Winn and Lena sank down on the couch opposite of the brides. The silence extended a little too long as Alex kept giving them wary glances, and Lena realised they really should have decided who was going to talk first.

"Okay, guys, you're starting to creep me out," Alex huffed.

Maggie sighed as she scooted closer on the couch. "Alex... do you remember when I told you that I hadn't talked to my dad since he kicked me out?"

Alex blinked at her. "Yes, of course."

"So... what if I told you... that I actually talked to him?" Maggie hesitated as her eyes darted across her fiancée's face. "That I actually talked to him in March... and he actually apologised for everything..." Maggie kept looking intently at the taller woman seated next to her, but Alex looked thoroughly confused.

"Wait a minute..." Alex shook her head in disbelief, "...your dad's alive?!!"

"No... no, babe..." Maggie swallowed. "He's not." 

The detective didn't seem to know how to proceed, so she glanced towards Lena, apparently inviting her to jump in at this point. And as Alex looked at the scene with a confused frown, Lena had to admit that Maggie had helped her along as far as she possibly could have. Lena sighed with her eyes closed, before opening them and straightening up, facing Alex as she forced the words past her lips.

"I see dead people." A shiver went down her own spine at uttering those words, while Alex just blinked in response, her expression completely blank. "I don't know how or why," Lena continued, "I'm still working that part out. But the fact of the matter is that some people who die turn into ghosts. And for some reason... I'm the only one who can see or hear them." Lena let out a shaky breath, slightly incredulous that she'd actually gotten through all that without stammering.

Alex huffed out a breathy laugh, as she looked between the three people that were staring at her. Her laughter quickly died out, however, when she noticed their grim expressions remaining in place.