Toyman...?

May 29th 2017

"So... did I win?"

Lena snorted, looking up at Kara who was tracing all the cards on the bed with confusion in her eyes. "No, Kara. A full house beats a pair."

"Yeah, and three of a kind, too," Winn grumbled beside her, snatching his cards from the bed while Lena kept smiling fondly at Kara's puzzled expression.

It was surreal to think that Kara had almost died two days ago. That they were sitting here playing cards in the same spot where Kara had almost bled out less than 48 hours ago, and that the traces of Lillian Luthor's attack had already vanished, courtesy of Kara's alien constitution. But Alex had been very clear with her orders; Kara was to be confined to the bed of the DEO med-bay for the next few days, apparently going in full big sister mode when she said it (Kara's words) and heeding no protest. Which is how Lena and Winn had now ended up sitting beside Kara's bed, attempting to relieve her boredom by trying to teach her how to play poker. She wasn't quite getting it yet.

"We've been going for at least eight rounds, how do you still not know the rankings?" Winn shook his head as he watched Lena collect her winnings.

"Maybe I'm just not suited to gambling," Kara pouted, handing her cards over for Lena to shuffle.

"Kara, we're playing for jelly beans," Lena pointedly remarked, depositing the winnings of this latest hand on her increasingly large pile. "It's not gambling if there aren't any valuables involved."

"Uh, excuse me, jelly beans are very valuable."

"I think you mean tasty," Winn pointed out, snacking on one from his remaining few.

"And doesn't the DEO have plenty of these in the cafeteria?" Lena questioned amused.

"Yeah, but I'm not allowed to go there. I'm stuck here, remember?" Kara puffed out a dramatic breath. "The only jelly beans I can eat are the ones I manage not to blow on card games."

"Don't worry," Lena smirked. "I'll share my winnings."

"Really?" Kara grinned at her, her face brightening instantly.

"Yeah," Lena breathed. "Really." She swallowed, getting lost in those blue eyes that were staring so fondly at her, and she couldn't help her eyes from darting up and down the bed-ridden Kryptonian's face. Going over those lips that she'd stolen a kiss from a mere two days ago, while Kara was unconscious. Lena cleared her throat, tearing her eyes away before things got weird. Well, they were already weird, because Winn was giving her a look that suggested he knew far more than Lena was comfortable with, so she scrambled to keep the conversation going. She turned back to Kara, only to find her looking the other way, gasping an excited breath with her whole face alight with excitement.

"Kal!"

Lena looked up, finding the very familiar sight of man decked out in red and blue, the sight you basically couldn't escape if you lived in Metropolis, barrelling through the doorway and rushing up to the bedside.

"I came as soon as they cleared me, are you alright?!" The man's concerned expression was scanning Kara from top to bottom, seemingly unaware of Lena trying to recover from the shock of Superman suddenly barging in on their game of poker, while Winn was gasping for air and looked like he was having an orgasm.

"I'm fine, I'm fine, Kal," Kara tried reassure him.

"Of course you're not fine! You got hit with kryptonite, how did you even-" the man fell silent, as his eyes had finally caught sight of the other two people in the room: Winn still fanboying, while Lena was frozen mid-shuffle. "Ms. Luthor." He straightened up to his full size, the concerned fretting over Kara washing away in an instant as he put his hands on his hips and looked down on her. That wary expression that Lena was all too familiar with crossing hiss features. She sighed as she got up.