The Past - part III

December 18th 2008

The entire city of Seattle was covered in snow.

The unexpected chill that had fallen over the city was met with many a grumbled word and caused much delay of public transport. Everyone was affected by it one way or another, as some people couldn't even get their cars out of the driveway and anyone who merely stepped out the door could immediately feel the cold envelop them, however many layers of clothing they might be wearing. Some delight came from it too, as on Wednesday students of all public schools were excused from attending class due to the weather. 

So yes, as the evening was starting to set in and the street lamps were starting to light up, in one way or another everyone was affected by the unexpected snowfall.

But it affected some more than others.

Right beside the very quiet and now almost invisible Lake Washington Boulevard E, taking cover from the snow under the Wilcox Footbridge, was a teenage girl who was affected by the snowfall to her very bones. She was wrapped up in an old blanket, one she'd found in a trash can a few days ago, while trying to control the shivers running through her body. 

She knew logically that falling asleep in a cold environment like this was a terrible idea. But her heavy eyelids were steadily fighting their way through every ounce of her willpower, her feet and her hands feeling more numb by the second as she sat there with her back against a pillar of the small bridge.

Since she was slowly drifting away into sleep and since she was now getting used to the slow rumbling of cars that occasionally drove by as slowly as was safe under these conditions, she didn't pick up on the noise of a car coming to a full stop right in front of the bridge. Only when she heard footsteps trod closer through the snow, did her head snap up to attention. 

She was surprised to see a woman in a lavish fur coat step over the railing and stare across the snow-covered gap between the trees and plants on the side of the road. The woman let out a deep sigh, a disapproving look passing over a face that the girl was perplexed to find was equally beautiful as it was unsettling, somehow.

"And once again, this city continues to disappoint," the woman drawled, her voice low and gravelly as she shook her head at the scenery. She turned back around towards her car, then stopped midway upon spotting the young girl that was staring at her. "To my point," the woman muttered to herself in an almost amused tone as she let her eyes trace her, the girl shifting uncomfortably in response. "Tell me, how does one begin to tolerate a place like Seattle?"

It was fairly apparent it was a rhetorical question, the woman already letting her eyes wander elsewhere, but the girl responded in a clipped tone, still enough pride in her to be offended at the condescension.

"One makes due," the girl forced through her clattering teeth.

The woman's attention appeared recaptured. "It talks," she stated bemusedly, and the girl scowled at her. "Does your wisdom extend beyond witty retorts?"

"Depends on the subject," the girl shot back, the irreverence always coming natural to her. The woman tilted her head, almost as if pleasantly surprised by the brash response.

"How about the subject of real estate? Where would one go if they wanted to, say, build a... research facility. For extranormal analysis."

"Anywhere but Seattle. Don't you know this is one of the most densely built cities in the country? There's this thing called Google Maps, I suggest you start using it." The girl momentarily revelled in the disapproving look the arrogant woman gave her, but then she realised something. "Extranormal... you're talking about aliens, aren't you?" Now the woman was clearly surprised, raising her eyebrows at the girl who hugged her blanket tighter. "You should go south and try National City. Apparently that place is full of those things." The girl shivered, not only at the cold, but also at the memory of her father talking about the revolting creatures that dwelled over there.