#3 : Engraved in my memory

Summary : Today, Mac was coming home from a ten days mission in the country, so you planned a romantic diner at home. While you were cooking, you received a call from Jack.

To set you in the mood :

You wiped your hands to pick up the phone.
« Y/n ? » something was wrong with his voice, you had never heard it like that.

« I' m glad to hear you! Did the mission end earlier than expected? Why isn't Mac the one who called?»the little silence scared the crap out of you. « Jack, Is everything alright ?! ».

«You need to go to the hospital, it's Mac, he got injured during the mission ».

His voice broke when he pronounced those words. You felt your heart skip a beat and then beating a thousand per hour. Breathlessness and shocked, you dropped your phone and ran towards your car to be with him as fast as possible. The drive to the hospital felt like hell, you were wondering to everything he could have had. Maybe it's just a broken leg, a burn or a light cut. But what if it's worse? Like he got shot or stabbed and lost a lot of blood and made a heart attack. The fact that you didn't know how bad it was, was driving you crazy. You shook your head, trying to ban all these scary thoughts and focus on the road.

When you finally arrived, everyone was there, an anxious look on their face.

« Where is he? Is he okay? I want to see him. » you were on the verge of tears.

Riley moved forward to you, you saw that she cried which made you realize how bad it was because you had never seen her like that since you know her. « He is still in surgery, the surgeon can't say anything at this point, I'm sorry y/n ». You felt like your whole world was collapsing around you. As childish as it may sound, you started to cry in her arms.

« But what happened ? » you asked between two dozen of tears. This time, Jack responded to you : « He was finishing to disarm a bomb when another one that we had not seen blew up not far from him. He received metal pieces and we found him unconscious, we brought him here couple minutes after the accident. ». They always got the back of each other and they are like brother, no doubt that Jack was feeling wrongly guilty of what happened to Mac.

Two long hours have passed when the surgeon finally entered the waiting space. «Is there people waiting for mister Angus MacGyver ? ». You all stood up immediately, the doctor was looking tense, which was not appeasing you. « He got seriously injured but we successfully managed to take all the metal slivers out. However, he stayed unconscious for quite some time and we still need to make some further examinations to determine how his brain has been affected. But, he is out of danger now.». You felt the pressure and the fear getting out of your body in a second, the last sentence was all that matters to you.

«Can we see him ?» Bozer asked the surgeon.

« Yes, but I have to warn you that he is severely bruised and has multiple lacerations on his face. It can be distressing at first. Remember that he needs to recover so don't overwhelm him and don't take too long, he is still very groggy. »

Jack, Bozer and Riley were the first to head towards Mac's hospital room, you hung back. You felt weird because you wanted to see him first, but it was like something was holding you outside. Like you were afraid of seeing him in such a poor shape. Of course, you had already seen him injured, but it was never more than a dislocated shoulder or when he stabbed himself with scissors. Even if you saw terrible things on the field, you can never be prepared to see your love one wounded.