#6 : Just together

Summary : Going on a mission was like routine for you, since you have been doing it for three years now. Except that for the first time, you were sent alone with Mac. You are not complaining at all, you two are really close friends. But it was kind of weird although in a more special way, to be without the others, just you two together.

To set you in the mood :

Mac parked the stunning sport car that the Phoenix Foundation made available for you two to get to the reception. You couldn't help but notice that he was looking really fine in that suit. This meaningless thought went as quick as it came, especially when the concerned one broke the silence, summing up all the information you needed.

« Okay, according to Matty's information the painting must be in his private gallery on the second floor. So we go in there and try to blend into the guests, go upstairs, take it and make our way out. I've count only three guards and with this jammer that I've made, they won't be able to communicate. I think that it won't take us long. ».

« Then, what are we waiting for? » you replied, smiling to him while opening your side-car's door, always excited to go on a mission.

When you both arrived at the second floor of the magnificent mansion, you told Mac how weird it felt to you to be on a mission without the regular team.

« You are right, but it's not that bad to be just you and me. Is it ?»

« No, absolutely not, we get along great and you know that you are my best friend but,... ». You began to reply, while Mac was trying to disarm the alarm system of the art gallery room.

« I made it » he interrupted you.

You were stunned by the amount pieces of art this room was filled with. Even if you are not a collector, you still can appreciate paintings and you've always loved the way artists share their vision of the world with it.

«I love this one, I think it's a Frantz Marc. How do you find it? » you asked Mac.

« It's one of my favorite.». Even if he was supposed to express his interest about the painting, Mac's tone was cold. Nothing like the one he had in the car earlier. You decided to not worry about it and instead, focus on the beauty of the art who was surrounding you and more important, on the mission. Mac kept going and was now separating the frame from the painting.

Two minutes later, loud footsteps heading towards the room warned both of you that someone was coming. You couldn't get caught, Matty had been quite clear about that. But the sound was getting louder and the handle started to turn slowly. Mac rushed towards you, took you by surprise and kissed you as someone entered the room.

« Oh sorry, uh my bad, just go back to... whatever you're doing. ». And the guy was out in a few seconds.

« It worked! He is out, now let's get this painting back to the Phoenix Foundation. ». You told Mac after this (even more than usual) unconventional solution.

*Time skip*

Back at the Phoenix Foundation you didn't miss the chance of congratulating Mac for once more, his unconventional way to save the situation.

« Hey Mac, I forgot to thank you for last night, you truly saved the day, although it was a bit weird ahah. By the way, how did you get this crazy idea? ».

« I don't know,... I just improvised. ». He practically didn't look at you while responding and his voice tone was cold.

« Mac, is there a problem ?». You asked outright, with this frankness that without you knowing is something that he loves about you.

« No everything is going perfectly fine ! ». He responded of an exaggerated way. Then, he stood up and left the war room.

*Time skip*

Mac's pov :

« How come are people so blind ». Closing the kitchen cupboard, I can feel that even if I don't want  to, I'm annoyed about y/n. I can't control that.

« Sometimes they just need a little push. » said a voice behind my back.

« Jack! I didn't hear the front door. ».

«Yeah, you should really think about investing in a security system. Two Murdoch's intrusions were not enough? » he sat at the kitchen counter with a beer that he took in the fridge. « You were talking about y/n, right?».

« How...? ».

He threw me an I-know-you-too-well look and I had no other options than explaining what was on my mind.

« Well, I can't pretend like I feel nothing more than that for y/n. But, I have no choice. I mean, if I tell her,  and as cliché as it may sound, it could ruin our friendship and I'm not willing to take that risk.»

« Hmm and what do you think you are doing right now ? » he said, taking a sip of his beer. « You are getting mad about things that only happen in your head man. Never wondered that she could feel the same ? Listen, I'm not the best at giving relationship advice but, I do know that If you love someone you tell them, even if you are scared that it will burn your life to the ground. You say it and you say it loud. ».

« Is that a Grey's Anatomy quote ? ».

« Certainly not, well maybe, but it doesn't change anything. You have to tell her, because you can't go on this way forever. It's so obvious that you're crazy about her. And you know just as well as me that we can't afford regrets. »

*Time Skip*

You got out of your couch as someone was knocking on the door. Wondering who it could be as you were waiting for no one and moreover, it was a Sunday night. Turned out it was Mac.

« Hey! What are you doing here ? Come in! ». You greeted him warmly even if you didn't forget his bad mood from yesterday. Although, you noticed that he was looking appeased, like he had fixed something.

« Oh no, it won't take long. I just wanted to tell you something. Listen, a good friend of us with a collection of Metallica t-shirts once told me that if you love someone you have to tell them, even if you are scared that it could destroy what you two already have. Remember our mission just the two of us ? I was not acting at all when I did what I did. You are my best.... »

Without hesitation, you returned him his kiss. Not feeling guilty at all this time of enjoying kissing your best friend. You knew how hard it must have been for him to deliver his feelings like this, but he did.

« So I guess that I didn't mess everything up ?» he asked, looking at you with his electric blue eyes and a wonderful smile that you've always secretly craved.

Your arms still around his neck you laughed and replied « Except the kiss we were sharing right now, nothing. In fact, it's the complete opposite. ».