#24 : Little did we know

Summary: You couldn't hide it anymore. Meaning, the agreement you took with your husband when it all started was coming to its end.

To set you in the mood:

"Come on!" You firmly repeated grasping both sides of your trousers.

Jumping, twisting your body in every physically possible way for 15 minutes now, had been (you must admit) useless.

A knock on the door echoed in the bathroom: "Y/n, you're alright?"

"Uh, yes! Everything is, uh, fine babe."

You decided to change your top to a longer blouse. Giving up wasn't something you normally do, but really, you had no other option.

You got out of the room and found Mac sitting on the bed. Guess, you probably were not that convincing.

He tilted his head and narrowed his eyes.

"What? I... improvised."

Mac stood up and lifted the cotton fabric just enough to unveil a high-waisted denim desperately unbuttoned.

He smiled.

You sat on the edge of the mattress: "I know. We agreed that when it would reach the 'I can't close my jeans anymore' state we would tell the team." You paused and wrinkled your nose. "But I don't want to be assigned to the war room, not yet."

He squatted down to be at your height: "Even though I love being on the field together, you can't do it for now. And you know it." He said as he caught your gaze. "I would feel much better knowing that you're in a safe place."

You let yourself fall back on the bed, staring at the ceiling you told him: "It's just that... It starts to feel real now."

"Remember when we were at the park a few months ago with the scouts?"

*Flashback*

Counting the bows and arrows to make sure that everything was ready to be stored, you realised that one of each was missing. You searched for it under the picnic table and in the grass around, but nothing.

You looked up and in the distance perceived a kid in Scout uniform having trouble with placing the arrow and holding it. Walking to join him and help, as a proper volunteer would, you stopped as someone was quicker than you.

"Alright boy, you just pinch it with your finger here, hold hold hold aaaand now." Led Mac as his hands directed the kid's. The little Scout's face lit up as the head ended up in the target's orange area.

Mac gave him a high-five: "Congrats buddy!"

He had always been so good with kids. This sight created a smile that reached your eyes.

You reached them at the same time as the boy's mum. She asked her child if he had had fun, the excited flow of words was telling everything. She thanked both of you and they walked away.

"You've just made a kid very happy." You said, taking down the target sheets.

Mac was deconstructing the structure he had built to attach them on. You turned around to see his reaction, he was beaming: "He's great. You should have seen the device he built for the egg experiment. It was impressive!"

You knew how much he loved sharing his knowledge, but an unknown factor appeared in your mind.

"Do you want to have kids?" He didn't seem taken aback by your question. Maybe the same was in his head too.