9 - Meet The Fam

Mikey left to put our dishes in the kitchen and the second he got up the reality of what was about to happen sunk in. Holy fuck. He's going to have to meet all the men in my life. And on the first date no less. I don't think he knows what he just signed up for.

"You alright?" He asked, breaking me away from my anxiety-induced rant in my brain.

"Um, yeah. Well, actually no. I just...I do want you to come over, I just think you should know what you're getting into before you decide."

"Okay," he said a little concerned.

"Well, I mean, you're going to be meeting my family, like a lot of my family. Like a lot of men in my family. And as the firstborn, you're going to be interrogated by probably all of them. I just don't want to put you in that position, unless you're up for it. I mean this is our first date."

He thought about it for a second and ran his hand over his scruffy beard.

"I think I'm up for the challenge. I mean I guess the sooner the better, right?"

"Yeah, sure," I laughed nervously.

"So, I'll follow you there?"

"Yeah," I said standing up.

I followed him outside and paused before we parted directions.

"It's kind of a drive, I'll text you the address in case we get separated. Yeah?"

"Yeah, that's a good idea."

I quickly texted him my address and waved before checking both ways and crossing the street to my car.

As soon as I got inside I let out a small scream of nerves and giddiness.

"What the fuck did you do, Bea?" I asked myself aloud in Italian.

I dialed my mom's number and put the car into drive. I waited for the traffic to clear before pulling away from the curb. I watched in my rearview as Michael pulled behind me and followed me across the intersection.

"Hello," my mom said answering the phone.

"Ehi. Mamma, I need your help."

"Yes, baby what's wrong?" She asked worriedly.

"Nothing, I just, I invited a guy over to watch the game and I need your help with dad. I need you to keep him calm and not go too crazy on Michael."

"Ooh, okay. Well, I can't make any promises but I'll do my best. Is he coming over now?"

"Yeah, we're driving there now. Please, please talk to him and my uncles." I begged.

"Okay, no problem. Don't worry about it," she replied in Italian.

"Grazie mille, mamma. Love you, ciao."

"I love you too, ciao."

The call ended and my music started playing. I still have one more person to call.

I tapped Lucia's name on the media screen and waited for her to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Luch, I need a favor. Michael is coming over and I need you to keep the boys away from him," I pleaded.

"Wait, he's coming over here? Like your house? Right now?"

"Yes, right now," I said cringing, "We're on our way. And I want to make it the least traumatizing as possible. I've already talked to my mom and she's gonna handle my dad and her brother."

"Shit, you really took that fast," she said, still on the topic of us coming home.

"Shut up, it's not like that," I said defensively.