23 - ER

Michael picked up my purse off the floor and led me back up the staircase and through the coffee shop. He motioned to the kid behind the counter that he'd call him and we exited the front door.

"I can drive your car if you want. That way I can take you home if needed and you don't get a ticket for parking overnight."

"Um, sure," I shrugged, "keys are in my purse."

Mikey opened my bag and quickly found the keys. He helped me into the passenger seat before climbing into the driver's side. He had to adjust the seat drastically as his knees hit the steering wheel when he got in.

"Sorry, I'm really short," I laughed as he slid the chair into a more comfortable position.

"You're not that short, I've just got long legs," he said chuckling.

Michael pulled out his phone from his back pocket and placed it in one of the cup holders. He started the car and adjusted the mirrors before putting the car into reverse.

"Do you know where you're going?" I asked as we headed towards the freeway.

"Yeah, I was going to go to Scripps. Is that okay?"

"Um, yeah. I guess."

I really hoped that Siena wasn't working right now.

Michael kept looking at me to make sure I was still alive and breathing. It was sweet, but also frustrating that he was so worried about me. I've ruined half of all our dates and now we probably wouldn't be going on more. 

"How are you feeling?" Mikey asked for the tenth time since we got in the car.

"I'm fine. Seriously. It's just my arm," I said looking out the window as we entered the parking garage.

Michael parked the car and quickly ran around the front to help me out.

"Do you need me to get a wheelchair?"

"No," I rolled my eyes, "my legs are fine."

We entered the emergency room and approached the check-in window.

"Hi, how can I help you?" A young man in scrubs behind the glass asked.

"Um, I cut open my arm and I think I need stitches," I said holding up my arm with the towel on it so he could see.

"Okay, do you have your insurance card and ID with you?"

"Um, yes," I turned to Michael who was still carrying my purse for me, "can you get my wallet please?"

Michael pulled out my wallet and handed my ID and insurance card to the man after finding them.

"Okay," he said typing in his computer, "Miss Oscuro, go ahead and have a seat in the waiting room and a nurse will call your name shortly. Here are your cards back."

Michael retrieved them and placed them back in my wallet. I followed him to the waiting area where there were surprisingly few people.

We took a seat and I waited impatiently for them to call me back to triage. Michael was watching the news that was playing on the television, but I could tell he was uncomfortable as his leg was shaking.

"You okay?" I asked nudging him gently with my good elbow.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm fine," he smiled.

"You don't have to stay, I can get you an Uber."

"What? Of course not. I'm not going to leave until we both leave together."

"Okay," I sighed, nerves starting to set in the longer we sat there.