25 - Results

Dr. Wright and Dr. Tambe entered the room moments after Siena had arrived. Siena quickly came to my other side and grabbed my hand.

Shit, this can't be good if they're both in here.

"Hi, Beatrice," Dr. Tambe said as he grabbed the stool and took a seat.

I instinctively grabbed Michael's hand and he placed his hand over mine with reassurance.

"So, we've got your labs back and it looks like we've found the cause of your fainting spell."

Siena looked at me and squeezed my hand tighter.

"Your hemoglobin levels are really low, which would explain why you passed out," Dr. Wright explained, "basically you're not getting enough oxygen cycling through your blood."

"Okay," I said just wanting him to bear the bad news already.

"I've just had the lab run your blood again because I think you're anemic, so they're checking your iron levels to confirm."

"What about my WBC?" I asked nervously.

"WBC is perfect," Dr. Wright assured patting my leg.

"You're sure?"

"Yes, no signs of cancer, Bea. You're still in remission."

I sighed heavily, a wave of relief washing over me. Siena hugged me tightly and kissed my cheek and I realized Michael was in the room hearing everything. He just heard that I don't have cancer. Which would imply that I once had it. He squeezed my hand, but I avoided looking at him.

"We should have the iron results back momentarily, but we're pretty sure that's the cause," Dr. Tambe said.

"Okay," I nodded, "How is the anemia treated?"

"If it is an iron deficiency, it's simply just a matter of taking iron supplements and adjusting your diet and exercise until your iron levels are back to normal," Dr. Tambe said.

"Okay, so it's not permanent?"

"No," he smiled, "depending on how low your levels are, you should be feeling better in a few weeks."

I sighed in relief, "Thank you so much."

"Of course," Dr. Tambe said.

"But, Bea," Dr. Wright said warningly, "next time, please don't wait to get checked out. Okay? You know, the first sign of symptoms you call Dr. Tsao. Promise?"

He looked at me expectantly.

"I promise," I said sincerely.

"Okay," he smiled, "Dr. Tambe will let you know about the iron test. I hope I don't see you soon," he said jokingly.

"Thanks, me too," I laughed.

They both left the room and Si embraced me in another warm hug.

"Why the hell didn't you tell me you were feeling sick?" She scolded.

"I just, I didn't want to worry anyone."

She rolled her eyes and stood up from the bed.

"I've got to get back to work. I'll come back before you leave. TVB," she said leaning down to kiss my cheek again before leaving Michael and me alone.

Michael squeezed my hand making me finally look up at him.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone...about the cancer," he said softly stroking the back of my hand with his thumb.

I nodded and tried to blink away tears. I cleared my throat and wiped my eyes with my free hand.

"I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm crying. I guess I'm just so relieved," I chuckled.

Michael pulled me into a tight hug, wrapping his arms around me and rubbing my back.

"I'm glad you're okay," he whispered in my ear.

I nodded and sniffled as he pulled away.

"I'm sorry you were going through all that alone."

I looked down at our hands which were intertwined.

"I know that we've just started to get to know each other, but I'm here. And you can always tell me anything. No judgment, no advice unless you ask for it, and nothing will scare me away," he added pulling my chin up to look at him.

I nodded and he pecked my cheek after wiping a tear that had escaped.

"I kind of ruined half of the dates we've been on for nothing," I said playing with my necklace.

"Well, I wouldn't say you ruined them," he smiled, "just made them more eventful."

I rolled my eyes and figured I should address the real elephant in the room. He didn't seem shocked at all now that I thought about it.

"So, which one told you?" I asked looking up at him.

"Told me what?" He asked confused.

"That I had cancer," his face lit with recognition, "it was my dad, wasn't it?"

"No," he shook his head," and it doesn't matter who told me. All that matters is that you're okay right now."

I stared at him, trying to decide if he was telling the truth.

"Okay," I said, giving up.

"Okay, Beatrice," Dr. Tambe said announcing his presence as he drew back the curtain, "we were right in our conclusions. It's just an iron deficiency. It's actually not as bad as I thought, considering you had fainted. I've written you a prescription for iron supplements. Take them once a day for six weeks and then follow up with your primary care provider to see what your levels are looking like. And as for your arm, make sure to get the stitches removed and keep it clean and dry."

He raised his eyebrows to confirm I understood his directions and I responded.

"Okay. Um, can I get a copy of my labs before I leave?"

"Of course, I'll have Siena provide them with your discharge papers. She should be in soon to get you out of here."

"Great, thank you, Dr. Tambe," I said smiling.

"Yes, thank you," Michael chimed in standing up.

I sighed again heavily and gave a look of apology when Mikey turned to look at me.

"So, how's that work then? Not getting your arm wet?"

"It's okay, I'm used to it. I'll just wrap it up and take a bath instead of a shower."

"Used to it?" He said squinting his eyes at me.

"It's not my first rodeo with an open wound," I said chuckling awkwardly.

"Oh, okay," he said, not pressing the subject.

I liked that he didn't ask invasive questions, but I felt bad. I felt like I owed him an explanation. Especially after all of the trouble I had caused.

The feeling was starting to come back into my arm and the pain was settling in. This all could have been avoided if I hadn't been so stupid.

"Hey, Bea. Here's your paperwork," she said smiling and handing it to me.

"Thanks, Si," I stood up giving her a hug.

"Of course, text me if you need anything. Don't worry about going in for stitches to be removed, I can do it," she said smiling at Michael so he wasn't just awkwardly standing there.

"Okay, I'll text you later," I kissed her on the cheek and went to pick up my purse from the chair by the door.

"I got it," Michael said picking it up before I could.

Damn his long legs.

I led the way out to the lobby stepping closer to when I'd have to explain everything to my parents. Cazzo.