51 - Girls Talk Boys

I threw my pillow at Lucia who was rolling on the floor with laughter.

"Shut up, stronza! I asked a serious question," I laugh- shouted.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry," she said breathlessly as she sat up, "I think Siena is the queen of keeping secrets," she added looking at Siena who was silent next to me on the bed.

"So? What do you think, Siena?" I asked, "Do you think I'm being crazy?"

She rolled her eyes at Lucia's comment, "I'm not the queen of secrets, I just know how to keep things on the DL. And to answer your question, I don't think you're being crazy. I mean you're 24 you should be able to do what you want. And if you're going to have the place to yourself then who am I to tell you not to invite him over."

"I just feel so guilty," I laughed, "I'm too good at listening to my parents' commands."

"Well, not that good," she smirked, "I mean you're inviting your boyfriend to your house so that you can have sex."

I scoffed and pushed her over. 

"Speaking of keeping things on the DL," I said, "Whatever happened with you and Cal?"

"Ugh," she groaned sitting back up, "Nothing happened. I called things off. I was just really put off by how much he drank."

"Well, did you explain to him why it makes you feel uncomfortable?" I asked. 

"Yeah, I mean he's what, 25, of course he's going to drink. Most people our age do," Lucia added.

"Who am I to tell him not to drink," she shrugged, "Besides we were just fooling around. It wasn't serious, so I wasn't going to drop a bomb on him that my dad's an alcoholic."

"Okay, okay," I sighed, "you have a point."

"Thank you, someone finally acknowledging my superior intuition about men."

"Whatever," Lucia rolled her eyes, picking herself up from my bedroom floor and joining us on the bed, "You guys want to see the guy I'm talking to?"

"What?!" we both shrieked glaring at her.

"Hello? Why didn't you lead with that? Pictures." Siena commanded so Lucia unlocked her phone.

"So, his name is Jesus Cordova," she smiled as she swiping through her phone.

"Wait, the Jesus Cordova?" I asked, raising a brow.

"Don't look at me like that," Lucia frowned, "he's cute now."

I gave her an "oh, sure" look and she shoved her phone in our faces to prove us wrong.

"He just finished college and is moving back home," she grinned as she spoke about him, "I ran into him at church a few weeks back and he asked me out."

"Damn," Siena sighed, "who knew the kid who used to pick his nose in sabbath school would turn out to be so attractive."

"Whatever, he was like five," she huffed, "Anyways, he hasn't been back in like ten years since he went away to academy and then college. So I told him I'd show him around the newest hot spots. And we've just been talking ever since."

"Aw," I pouted, "how cute. You guys would make such cute babies. I mean all the Latin blood between the both of you--"

"Shut up," she laugh-groaned.

The bedroom door swung open and Cat stepped inside. She was wearing a princess dress with plastic heels and carried a furry purse.

"Ahem," she cleared her throat, pursing her lips, "Mamma said to tell you that you guys need to be quiet because I'm going to bed. I start school tomorrow."

"Yes, your majesty," I said, bowing.

She tossed her hair over her shoulder and walked out of the room.

We laughed at how adorable she was, and at how much of an attitude she had, before climbing into the bed to watch season 3 of The O.C. until we fell asleep. She was growing up way too fast, but every year that she got older was another year that I was in remission. My annual check-up was coming up, and if the all-clear was given, then this would be my last annual appointment. The chances of cancer coming back would be slim which meant I could finally relax every time I found a bruise or felt too tired. It also meant I could really start thinking about my future and planning my life out. I still needed to decide if I wanted to pursue other career options.

I adjusted my pillow behind my head and reflected on what the girls had said. Was it really okay for me to go behind my parents' backs and invite Michael over when they weren't home? Part of me felt guilty, but the other part of me felt like their rules were too overbearing and I was an adult, I should be able to make my own decisions. Plus, I really really wanted to be with Michael again. Technically, I wouldn't be going against what my dad had instructed. We wouldn't be alone together at his house. And he did explicitly say that if we wanted to spend time together he should come to my house.

I sighed and turned the tv off, Lucia and Siena both now asleep. I remembered that I had to get up extra early so that I could open the shop.