46 - My Lips Are Sealed

I opened my eyes to a wooden ceiling fan. It took me a moment to remember that I wasn't at home. I rolled over, feeling for Michael, but the bed was empty.

I grabbed my phone from the bedside table, shocked to see that it was already 3 pm. I stretched my body across the empty bed before climbing out. I adjusted my hair in the oversized en-suite bathroom so it wasn't so crazy, smiling at Michael's previous comment about the shower.

When I reached the stairs I could see that Lucia, Gio and Siena were watching some reality television. The loud laughter outside was Michael, Luke, Calum, and Ale playing a game of table tennis. 

I turned into the kitchen to find Ashton preparing food.

"Hey," I greeted. He looked up and flashed me a bright smile.

"Hi, Bea," he said as he rolled something in between his palms.

"Whatcha making?" I asked, taking a seat at the island counter.

"Burgers," he said, as he plopped the round ball of raw meat onto a piece of parchment paper and flattened it out.

"Yum. Need any help?" 

"Uh, sure, actually could you prepare the condiments?" he asked.

"Yeah," I agreed, standing up as he instructed me to pull out the tomatoes and lettuce from the fridge.

When I opened it, I was surprised to find a case of beer. I am so used to our alcohol-free family parties that I forget that other people enjoy beer, especially on holidays like the Fourth of July. I pulled the produce from the drawer in the fridge and began searching for a cutting board.

"Uh, I think I saw one in the cupboard next to the stove," he said when he saw me searching. 

"Ah, yes," I exclaimed when I found it as he said, "thanks."

I washed the vegetables and joined him at the kitchen island to cut them up. 

"So," I began, "Mikey says you all met in high school. That's pretty cool that you all are still such close friends. I don't think I have any friends from school anymore," I commented.

"Well, I technically didn't meet them in high school," he corrected, "I'm actually a year older than those goons," he laughed as he pointed out the window towards the rowdy bunch goofing off outside.

I chuckled at the sight of Calum giving Michael what looked to be a pep talk before they began the game.

"So, how did you meet?" I asked, bringing my attention back to our conversation.

"I was Calum's next-door neighbor growing up, and when I graduated high school I stayed locally to get my associate's at the community college. I was in my garage messing with my drum kit and they passed by--Luke, Cal, and Mikey--and anyways, "he chuckled to himself, "they asked me if I wanted to jam with them. Everything just fell into place after that. We became best friends," he smiled.

"We're they as crazy as they are now?" I asked as he stepped to the sink to wash his hands.

"That," he laughed looking outside, "that is nothing compared to how we used to be."

"What was Mikey like when you met him?" 

He paused in thought, as he opened up a package of sliced cheese. 

"You know, he was actually really intimidating when I met him," he smiled at me.

"Really?" I asked in surprise.

"Yeah, I mean he had these two piercings," he pointed to his lips, "and with all his tattoos--I mean back then he didn't have the chest pieces yet, but he did have the ones on his hands and neck. And he always, always dressed in all black. He was pretty reserved and I honestly thought he hated me for like the first year that I knew him."