43 - Fair

The next night was family night. My parents had planned for my Zia Carina and Zio Antonio, (Matteo and Siena's parents) to come to the family gathering. Matteo had brought Ally over after they had met with Ally's parents. My parents would act as mediators between Matteo and his parents.

After their heated discussion in the backyard, Zio Antonio stormed out of the house and left. It was honestly expected, and not as bad as it could have gone. Matteo, Ally, my parents, and Zia Carina spent about an hour talking in the backyard while the rest of us pretended to be playing a card game at the kitchen table and eavesdropped.

The sliding door opened and we all pretended to be concentrating on our "game". 

"You guys heard everything, didn't you?" Matteo asked, eyeing us all suspiciously.

I looked around the table and Ale finally nodded.

Matteo stood in front of the kitchen table and wrapped his arm around Ally's waist. She smiled sheepishly at us and Teo spoke, "We're having a baby!"

As soon as he announced it, everyone else at the table engulfed them in a group hug. Ale, Gio, and Lucia were asking a million questions, but I was distracted by the conversation my mom and dad were having in the kitchen behind us. I couldn't hear what exactly was being said, but my dad did not look happy.

The doorbell rang, and I jumped up from my seat, "I'll get it!"

I raced to the door and quickly opened it, revealing a smiling Michael. 

"Hi love," he said pulling me in for a hug and a peck on the lips.

God, I loved that word.

I breathed in his cologne and pulled back, taking in his outfit. He was wearing a pair of black jeans and a long-sleeve grey shirt with the sleeves pushed up.

"Come in," I smiled, pulling him towards the kitchen.

"Hey Mikey," Gio called out from the table as we entered the room. 

"Hey guys," he nodded as everyone at the table turned to greet him.

"So, can we like, move on and start a real game," Teo sighed, pulling out a chair for Ally to take a seat.

"Definitely," Si nodded, picking up everyone's cards to shuffle them.

"Hold on," my Zia Carina called out, "I think it's time for food. Everybody clear the table please and go wash up." 

Just as Mikey and I were about to make our way over, my dad grabbed my arm.

"Not so fast," he said firmly, "Outside. Both of you."

I raised my brows, looking to my mom for answers but she simply gestured for us to follow his command.

I closed the sliding glass door behind me and noticed that Mikey was nervously playing with his ring. I made sure that we had stepped farther away from the house so that no one could listen in. 

"What's going on?" I asked hesitantly, looking between my parents skeptically.

My dad cleared his throat, glaring at Michael before starting, "I don't want you going over to his house anymore."

"What?" I exclaimed, looking back at Mikey whose face was expressionless.

"I'm not going to take the risk of you getting pregnant, too," my dad stated.

"Mamma!" I called, trying to get her to reason with him.

"I'm sorry, Bea, but I agree with your father on this one. I don't think you should be spending time alone at his house," she glanced at Michael, "If you want to spend time together, you are more than welcome to come here, Michael."

"This isn't fair," I huffed, "Babbo, per fa'. You don't trust me?"

"It's not that I don't trust you," he said, flicking his gaze to Michael, "I know what it was like to be your age. I don't want you to make a mistake that you can't take back."

"I'm 24! You can't do this!" I argued, "I'm not a child! This is bull!"

"Beatrice Elena Oscuro," my mom said sternly, "Watch your mouth"

I groaned to myself mostly.

"Enough, Beatrice." my dad said with finality, "You live under my roof, and I make the rules. You either spend time together here, or you don't see him at all."

I gritted my teeth, shaking my head with frustration. 

I felt Michael touch my arm, "Bea, it's okay. We can just hang out here," he said softly.

I rolled my eyes to myself, "Fine."

"Michael, we don't mean any disrespect to you," my mom added before she led my dad back inside the house.

I stared at the mountains, seething with anger at the injustice.

"I'm really sorry, Michael. If you don't want to continue this, we don't have to--"

I heard Mikey chuckle beside me and turned to look at him. How could he laugh?

"Bea, it's okay," he soothed, grabbing my hands and gazing into my eyes, "This doesn't change anything."

"Yes it does," I mumbled under my breath, looking at the floor. 

He looked at me for a moment before smirking, "You're just upset because you won't be able to get your hands on any of this," he raised his brow looking down at his body.

I chuckled at his comment. I had to admit, I was upset that it would intervene with our ability to make it past second base.

"Why are they so afraid you're going to get pregnant?" he asked after a moment.

I laughed and shook my head, realizing he didn't know that Ally was pregnant.

"Matteo got his girlfriend pregnant," I breathed, "So my dad is freaking out that you're going to do the same."

He chuckled to himself, nodding his head, "We'd have to be having sex for that to happen."

I rolled my eyes, pushing him playfully, "To them, your just some horny guy trying to steal my innocence. Come on, let's go inside before they think you're impregnating me out here."

He laughed, throwing his head back and clutching his stomach, as I slipped my hand into his and guided him back to the house.