Thirteenth Toll

I found myself waking up and looking out of the cave. "It's night..." I briefly yawned then rubbed my nose against Keonhee's neck in an effort to wake him. Instead, I got a pleased sound. "Don't rub him there..." I looked at Nisse in bewilderment. "You know in the human world, humans have sweet spots." "So his is his neck..." Nisse nodded then laid back down. "Wait, how do you know?" He didn't respond and that made me suspicious of who Nisse really was to Keonhee. I became curious as to what could happen if I continued and looked like an okapi as well.

I couldn't help but laugh on the inside at the weird noises he'd make. I had stepped back as he woke up and looked around. "Hwan?" "Yes...?" "Is it hot in here to you or is it just me?" "I think it's just you." I watched him stand up then poke his head out for fresh air. I decided to wander deeper into the cave and make marks to help myself find my way back. I found myself nearing a dead end after a while then sighed. I proceed to walk towards the wall to check for a secret passage then found myself standing on two legs.

"W-What..." I looked behind me and saw a brief ripple. "How many portals are there in Dier..." I looked at my surroundings and found it familiar but strange at the same time. Half of me wanted to go back, but the other half wanted to find out why it felt familiar. I reasoned that Keonhee would be fine without me and set off. I found myself near a school that wasn't too far from where I used to attend until I was confined into the Dier woods. "I'm home...kinda."

I found myself outside of Seoho's home and figured he was probably sleep. I heard the front door open and quickly hid from sight. The gate opened and I saw Seoho head in the opposite direction. I quietly followed wondering where he could possibly be going. After a while of following, he ended up in Dongju's backyard and crawled into a tent set up. I transformed into a mouse and headed over to see what was up. "Anything? Anyone?" "No..." "Nothing." "Not a trace." Someone sighed but I couldn't tell who. "Hwanwoong's missing and now we have a human problem." Human problem? "I miss him. I wish Piksi didn't separate us. I could've kept him company. Now he's all alone...He may even be dead!" A slap was heard then a raised voice followed. It belonged to Geonhak. "We know Hwanwoong. He wouldn't let himself die so easily."

It touched me to know that they all still cared about me after all this time. I wanted to go in and show them that I was fine, but how would they take it? How would I explain myself? "Back to the human problem...how did they even get in without having a limb cut off?" "No one knows, but someone said they saw them enter the deep woods." "They're going to die." It dawned on me then. Keonhee. Just as I was about to run, my presence was detected. "It's just a mouse." "Wait..." I was held up to Seoho's nose then nearly crushed in a hug. "Hwannie!"

The other three looked at him in confusion. "Are you starting to crack...?" "That's just a mouse, Seo." "It is him. Watch." He scratched behind my ear and on cue, I squeezed. "H-Hwanwoong...? You're really here..." I shrunk back as they all started towering over me. "Guys, back up." They did as Seoho asked and I was grateful. Seoho then picked me up and placed me on his thigh. "Tell us everything. We've been so worried, especially Dongju." I looked at all of them then proceeded to speak. They all listened intently as I told them of my adventures with Keonhee, Lutin and Nisse.