∞CHAPTER ONE∞

I look down nervously as I drop my name into the box labelled Sixteen. Two silent guards stand on either side, watching to make sure I only put one card in. I'm not scared that my name will be chosen, I am scared that it won't be.

Today is the first of January, a new year. But not just any new year, it is the next fiftieth year.

Every fifty years, four hundred kids, ages twelve to nineteen, are chosen for a chance at the Abilities. Fifty of each age are chosen. I am sixteen, which is why I put my name in the box labelled Sixteen. There will be hundreds of thousands of entries, and my chances of being chosen are very slim.

I slowly walk away from the stand, my eyes searching the crowd of people. I don't come here very often, the city hall I mean. I've never really had a reason too, other than the few times my mother asked me to drop off papers after school. It's huge building, anyone can see that. On the inside though it seems even bigger. From the outside it looks like a sleek, metal building with three floor. On the inside though, you see that much of that 'metal' is simply glass, currently in a one way glass state, though they do switch it at times. Marble staircases sweep upwards to the other floors. It kind of looks like a fancy hotel. On the very top floor are the offices, where my mother works.

It's kind of nerve racking, the amount of people here. I wrap my arms around my body and trudge through the crowd of teenagers, all trying to get in line for exactly what I was just doing. Entering their names into the contest of a life time. "Excuse me." "Sorry." "Um can I get through? T-thanks." Are some of the things I mumble as I'm hit in the ribs with sharp elbows and pushed around.

Finally, I catch sight of my friends standing pressed against the wall by the main entrance, where the multitude of people is thinning.

"Aria!" The three of them call out at varying times. My best friend Carrie says it first, getting the other two to join.

"Gosh, did you all enter all ready? Am I really that bad at shoving through crowds?" I laugh as I run up to them.

"Clearly," Anna smirks. "Slow poke."

"Slow poke with crippling anxiety!" I counter. "It's impressive I entered at all."

"Ha!" Carrie rolls her eyes. "What will you do if you're a Chosen! Always with like, what? Four hundred people?"

"In her defence," Laura, the quieter one, cuts in. "There are way more than four hundred people here right now."

"That's true, but none of these guys have scary super powers."

"Guys, lets go! I have to be home before seven to start making supper," I tug at Carries arm.

The four of us talk for a few minutes, but eventually we slip into silence. I look at each of the faces of my friends, and they're all wearing the same worried, gloomy expression. This isn't the time to be sad! It's the most exciting thing of our time! But, I do know what they're all thinking. Even if one of us gets chosen, which disappointingly isn't that likely, the others will probably be left behind.

Finally, Carrie breaks the silence. "We might have a chance to be in this together. I'm seventeen, Aria's sixteen, Laura you're fifteen and Anna you're fourteen," She says, stating the obvious. "Think about it!" She walks ahead of us and the wind blows her medium length, wavy dirty blond hair behind her.

"You know, you're right!" Laura says excitedly "That would give us a better chance, right?"

I nod at her, but really, it's not going to make a difference. I can't say it though, I couldn't bear to crush that hopefulness. It might seem silly to future generations, this contest. But we were raised on it. We have been waiting for this, been told stories about this, been hoping to become a Chosen all our lives. It's part of who we are I guess.

Anna smiles at Laura, "Yeah, I guess we'll find out tomorrow." Anna is very practical, and refuses get her hopes up needlessly. I could really learn from her. I've put so much importance on this day, even though I was nervous at the thought of leaving home for so long. But my parents want this for me or my sister more than anything. It seems to be all they talk about recently. Although, they didn't have very much information on it, now that I think about it, but it was enough to make this the most exciting event ever heard of in our family.

My friends and I don't talk any more than that until we reach our street, say our goodbyes, and go to our separate houses. I end up the last left outside, partially because of the fact that my house is at the very end on the street, and partially because a pod car whizzes by on its electromagnetic track in front of me on my way over, surprising me. Those things are fast.

They're fairly new I suppose, considering how long humanity has walked the Earth. I think they were first constructed, tested and approved about seventy years ago. Might seem like forever, but the car was first built about two thousand years ago.

It's interesting how they work, gliding through the air on the invisible rays or whatever it is of magnetics. I'm not the best in that area science... Biology is more my thing.

After I regain my footing, I walk up the steps and press my hand to the door. "Aria, welcome home!" The computer system says in its overly enthusiastic robot voice. I hear a small click, the sound of it unlocking, then I go inside.

* * * * * * * * *

I'm busy making supper when I hear the front door slam. "I'm home!" My younger sister yells. My mom and I alternate supper duties every second day. I love cooking, so I'm happy with our arrangement.

"Hanna! You put your name in right?" I question her, my voice sounding a bit too perturbed.

"Of course!" She says enthusiastically. "How could I not?!"

I laugh at her and give her a hug. She turned twelve last month so she is just old enough to enter. I remember how excited we were when she was born. We knew we had just that much more of a chance for someone in our family to be chosen.

My mom gets home soon after, and we start our supper. We don't talk through most of the meal, just a little small talk about how our days went. My dad, sadly, is away on a business trip. It would be a lot more lively with him here.

"You've barely touched your food, Aria. Too excited for the announcement tomorrow?" Mom finally brings up the choosing.

"Excited and Scared," I reply "I have to be chosen! I can be good enough for the abilities! I know it! I'll work so hard, Mom. I can make you and Dad proud."

My mom laughs and squeezes my hand. "Of course you can honey. We're already proud."

"I can make you more proud then!" I laugh.

"Hey, so can I! I'll get the best super powers ever! I'll be cooler than Batman and Magneto combined."

"Why those two?" I roll my eyes.

"'Cuz they're the coolest!"

* * * * * * * * * *

When we go up to bed, I know I'm not going to be able to sleep, but I have to try. If I am chosen, I might need to have lots of energy for tomorrow. I really don't know. I guess part of the excitement is the cluelessness! It's weird we don't know more about the whole process, considering how long this has been going on in our country. Who cares though? We could have to chance to be a superhuman, a legend!

After realizing pacing my room isn't going to help me get to sleep at all, I crawl under the covers of my bed and take out a book. My intention is to read a few chapters, hoping it will calm me down. Instead, my mind just won't concentrate on the story.

Eventually, and by eventually I mean at about two in the morning, I put my book away and let my eyes close as I drift off to sleep...

**************

Hey guys, I'm entering this in @SciKick 's awesome contest! Hopefully I do okay in the contest! XD

**update** I won!! :D