Chapter 4 : Conflict

'Can i have a real friend?' He asked himself.

--

"Do you even know what book 'Jane Eyre' is?" Minhee said sarcastically

"No.. but the name's pretty nice, Jane"

"Yeah right. You should know better." She rolled her eyes. "This is a good book, you know. Lots of life lessons. What i love the most is.. Jane is a brave girl who respect herself and others. She lives her life and doesn't worry about what others think is dignified." She said enthusiastically.

Eyre was kinda surprised with her eagerness.

"And one more thing.." Minhee continued. "Jane believes that love is more important than anything else. How deep is that." She said with spark in her eyes.

Eyre laughed. "What do you know about love when you'd become angry all the time?" He couldn't stop laughing.

Minhee glared at him. "Don't act like you know either! I had an experience too, even just a little, for your information."

He chuckled "Then you can say i had too.. a little. But you don't look like you had one, you know?!" He teased Minhee.

"I had! Even it's not good.. but still.. a sad one still counted as an experience, right?" She sighed.

"What did he do?" He asked, eyes on Minhee. "I know it's personal stuff.. you don't have to answer if you—"

"He left me for other girl." She said and faked a smile. She didn't know why she answered him. He's a stranger, but deep down in her heart she felt that she could share her story to the man's Eyre self. Minhee being Jane was somehow.. comforting her.

"Oh i'm sorry." He sympathized. They stay silent for awhile until he broke it.

"You know, i kinda used to you being loud. Now that you keep your mouth shut like this, it's.. creepy" He pretended to be scared.

"What?!" Minhee shouted at him but also laughed at the same time. "It's just yesterday and you already used to my shouts. Well, you take things fast ." Minhee still laughed.

"Maybe i am." He laughed. They talked for a while, he eventually shared his story about his ex. He left her.. when he had to choose something bigger, something that changed his life.

"You could do better" Minhee said, disagree with his point of view. "You're not supposed to leave her. There will always be a way." She continued without careful thought.

"You're not gonna say like that if you know what life i have chosen. It's not that simple. In my world, in the end, we need to sacrifice something or even someone to become someone big."

Minhee thought more deeply when he said that. She couldn't understand his mind. In her world —her simple and organized world— she plans everything to be like the way she wanted. She likes to live calm and peaceful. She knows she can encounter many things in life that she don't want to, like my encounter with him. She made mistakes too. She's not naive, but still.. she will never sacrifice anything that belongs to her for something uncertain. That's horrible.