Chapter 3

"Does the baby need attention?" Mama's usual soothing voice was replaced with a shrillingsnarl. The knife waved in my vision for a split second as I continue looking at Daddy, Marise, and Everett's still forms. The sudden sharp pain in my neck made me squeeze my eyes shut and snap my teeth together to keep the scream from spilling out. A shiver escaped down my body as blood trickled down my chest.

"Samriah." The deep reverberating voice pulled her out of her memories and she looked up into Elijah's​ misty gaze that made her breath hitch. "Are you alright?" She faintly nodded her head and cleared her throat. She felt like she was sliding into insanity and there was nothing to anchor her in the present. She had prided herself on having the ability to block out those painful memories but now she couldn't stop them from constantly spilling out randomly and it was affecting her life. Her hands were tingling at the resounding echo of her mother's voice in her mind. Her power threatening to spill out as well.

"Fine." She snapped and pushed past him to go inside where the rusty smell was overwhelming.​ Pushing an immortal aside was probably the most ignorant thing she could possibly do but that was completely forgotten when she stepped inside the home. Every pearl colored wall had crimson spray or splattered on it. Body parts were spread throughout the living room and kitchen in a gruesome display. Fingers were found on counter tops and along the wooden floors. Several  body parts were missing flesh. 

Taking a deep breath she immediately regretted, she leaned down to one of the severed arms and found that it was far from a clean cut​.  A knife wasn't used here​. There were also deep jagged cuts down to the bone. ​Claw marks? 

"Sam! One more room in the back left of the house to check." Greg called out as he walked out​ of the house. She calmly stood up and began a slow descent down the hall, stopping abruptly when she passed a room on the right nearly to the end of the hallway. It was a little boys room. 

Transfixed in the doorway, she diligently took in every aspect of the Toy Story themed room. The colorful cars on the floor in disarray, a green dinosaur stuffed animal on the bed, a nightlight in the corner. The blue and white walls with large Toy Story characters seemed to unnervingly watch her as she glanced over the rest of the toys spread throughout the room.  It was as if everything was waiting on his return.

The cars waited for his tiny hands to cup them. The dinosaur waited for his tiny arms to clutch it. "You don't have to see every room, female." Elijah's voice was heavily accented in a deep low tone. She turned towards his voice, seeing he was in the doorway of the last room on the left. "Trying to tell me how to do my job now, vamp?" She was surprised by how hoarse her voice was.

He stood in the middle of the doorway with his arms crossed as she slowly willed her body forward. A part of her screamed to turn and run but the other part of her had to see. He took a step towards her, his jaws clenched together, his deadly black eyes focused on her. "No further, female," he rumbled. Relief and anger coursed through her veins as she focused on Elijah.

"Get out of the way." Her fingers twitched and tingled as she balled them into fists at her sides. She tried to push him but it was as useless and as pushing a wall. This close to him she came up to just below his chin and didn't like feeling inferior or being held back from doing her job. "I need to see the room, vamp. Let me do my job." He still wasn't budging or even looking at her. She took this as an opportunity and dodged to the right then quickly spun to the left but he was faster. "You're fast, my sweet, but I am faster."

She sighed and let her power push through the barriers just a little as she looked up into his beautiful grey eyes that finally made their way down to her. His eyes reflected back a slight turquoise glow that seemed to emanate from her body instead of her palms. "I have to see this. I ​need ​to see this. Get out of my way Elijah." He stood there for a few more moments, eyes locked with hers, before finally taking a step aside. "I'll be right here, Samriah." His soft spoken words were backed with the promise of comfort but she was already distracted with both the past and present.