[Chapter 1] Acquaintances With Benefits

Author's Note: Hey guys! Just before you read this chapter, there's this character Carter in this story. She's a character from another story "Fighting For The Title As Her Lover" by @the_infinite_author (I really recommend you read it, it's an AMAZING story) and some things are similiar, some things are different. Just wanted to clear that up. Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope you like it! -rac06h10ael

-Anthony's POV-

I pulled into my driveway about five hours later and turned the car off. I opened the car door and got out, walking up the walkway and simultaneously pulling out my house key from my pocket. I slipped it into the lock and turned it to the left. I pushed the door open and exclaimed, "I'm home!"

"Anthony!" Kalel's voice emanated from somewhere in the house that wasn't the living room, dining room, or kitchen. She appeared at the top of the stairs and smiled widely at me. She raced down the stairs and jumped into my arms. I picked her up and spun her around before setting her back down on the ground. "I thought you weren't coming for a second there."

I chuckled and lied to her, saying, "Sorry, Kalel, Ian sucked me into this conversation before I left the Smosh house and I lost track of time."

"That's what happened last time too..." She commented. My eyes widened in fear. What if she knows? "But I have no control over that, so...I'm just glad you're home." She leaned in and pulled me into a kiss. I kissed her back.

That's when my phone went off. I pulled out of the kiss and slipped my phone out of my back pocket. I unlocked the screen and saw that I had a text message from Cass.

I turned away from Kalel and slid my finger across the notification. My phone opened my messages:

Today 11:24a.m. Cass: Miss you already 😩

I looked over my shoulder and saw Kalel standing there, arms crossed over her chest as she waited for me to turn around. I quickly texted a message back and locked my phone, turning around and smiling at Kalel.

"Sorry about that, it was just my mom," I lied once again, "Hey, why don't you and I go out to lunch? I'm starving."

"But it's already three in the afternoon, Anthony."

"So?"

She sighed, "Fine, but I'm picking the place." She poked me in the chest and grinned before turning around going back up the stairs, most likely to get her purse.

"Fine with me!" I called from the bottom of the steps.

-Cass's POV-

I set my phone down after texting Anthony and got up from the desk. I stretched my arms up in the air and dropped them to my sides before walking into the bathroom and doing the normal routine - hopping in the shower, giving a quick towel-dry to my hair, still leaving it wet, brushing my teeth, and getting dressed. Once I pulled on my pair of ripped denim jeans and a Paramore band t-shirt, I picked my phone back up and saw that Anthony texted me back:

Today 3:12p.m. Anthony: I miss you too, Cass. Love you.

I grinned and texted back:

Today 3:13p.m. Me: Love you too 😘 See you in a few days.

I slipped my phone into the back pocket of my jeans and walked out into the kitchen, where I pulled open the fridge and scanned the shelves for something to eat. There was literally nothing in there for me to have for lunch. I mean, unless you consider a half-drunken Frappuccino drink from Starbucks and a cup of chocolate pudding lunch. I slammed the fridge shut and walked around the counter.

Just then, the apartment door swung open and in came my best friend, and roommate, Carter. The two of us had grown up together in Chicago and moved here after high school. She had long, curly, dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes, where as I had long, wavy, platinum blonde hair and blue eyes. "Hey girl!" She greeted, setting down a few grocery bags on the kitchen island and walking back to close the door, "Finally got up, I see..."

"You know I hate waking up before noon," I remarked as I began to help her put the groceries away.

"Did Anthony leave?" She asked me.

"Yeah, he left about four hours ago."

"I can't believe you're still seeing that guy," She commented. I stopped midway from putting away a six-pack of beers in the fridge and looked over at her. "I mean, isn't he engaged to that Kalel girl?"

"Yeah..." I slowly stood back up and closed the fridge, "What about it?"

"It's just...strange that you've been sleeping around with this guy, who's going to get married soon, for the past, what, six months? And nothing has come out of it?"

"Eight months and two weeks," I corrected her, "And it's because the two of us don't want anything to come out of it. Carter, he and I both agreed after that night that all we would do is this. Nothing more."

"So you guys are friends with benefits?"

I bit my lip, "I wouldn't say friends with benefits. I mean, we barely know each other."

"Okay, acquaintances with benefits," She corrected herself. I nodded my head yes. "Still, it's been eight months, Cass. That's almost as long as when you dated Connor. And that was about two years ago. Don't you think it's time you start dating again?"

I hung my head. There's a reason I haven't dated anyone since Connor and why the first night Anthony and I met that we agreed to have nothing come out of what we were doing. I just haven't gotten the courage to tell her, or anyone for that matter. Not even Anthony knows the full story. I shook my head and said, "No, I don't." Before Carter could say something else, I blurted out, "Hey, want to go out to lunch?"

"But I just got groceries..." She whined.

"Come on, we haven't gone out in a while, it'll be fun" I said, grabbing her hand and dragging her out of the apartment. The two of us got in my car and drove to a local fast-food restaurant.