[Chapter 17] Why Do You Care?

-Cassidy's POV-

I was sitting out on the porch steps, the cold night breeze hitting my face and picking my hair off of my shoulders. I heard the door behind me click open and then close. The next I know, someone's sitting beside me. I looked over and saw it was Patrick.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked him angrily, my teeth chattering. Right now I just wanted to be alone. I didn't even want Pete, who's helped me through a lot of hard times before, to be out here.

He shrugged his shoulders, "Mom sent me out to check on you." He looked over at me and sighed, "And apologize for upsetting you. Oh and to give you this," He pulled one of my old sweatshirts out from behind his back. I stared at the article of clothing for a little before snatching it out of hands and quickly slipping into it, the warmth almost immediately returning to my body.

"Thanks," I murmured, giving him a quick glance before looking back out at the city skyline in the distance.

"So, I didn't know you and Connor broke up," He tried to spark a conversation. I remained silent. "When did this happen?"

"Why do you care?" I asked him, refusing to make eye contact with him.

"Because you're my sister, and it's nice to know what's going on with you since I don't get to see you all that much. And I think we've moved on from your teenage years where you refused to even acknowledge I existed." I couldn't help but laugh at that, because it was true and I have no idea why I did that. He laughed too. "So, care to tell me what happened?"

"Things just...didn't work out between us. He just...he could never find time to be with me," I finally looked over at him, "And I get the whole being busy thing. I'm a busy person too. But would it kill him to take some time out of his schedule for me? You know what I mean?"

"I think Elisa might know more about it than me," He retorted dismally. There was a long pause of silence before he blurted out, "You want to know the real reason why Elisa and I haven't started a family yet?"

A confused look crossed my face, "It's not because you're on tour all the time and never home?"

"Well, those play a part in the reason, a big part, but...things haven't been great between Elisa and me lately. It's like...we're growing apart. When I'm home, she's in the other room. When I tell her I'm leaving to go on tour, she doesn't even give me a kiss goodbye. She just calls from the other room she's in to wish me luck and that she can't wait till I come home, which I don't believe anymore. It's like she doesn't care." He put his head in his hands and heaved a sigh. I watched as his breaths materialized and disappeared within a matter of seconds.

"Do the guys know?" I questioned.

He shook his head no. "You're the only person I've told."

"Have you talked to her about it?" Her being Elisa.

"Like I said, Cass, you're the only person I've told."

I bit my lip and averted my gaze away, "You need to talk to her, Patrick. Tell her how you're feeling."

He chuckled, "What? Tell her things haven't been the same and I want to make things better but don't know how. Yeah. That's going to be easy," He remarked sarcastically. He gasped and looked over at me, "Maybe you could be there! She's always nicer when you're around!"

I looked back over at him and smirked, "Patrick, I'm not going to be there to make the situation less awkward."

"Ugh, fine," He rose to his feet and said, "Can we please go inside, Cassidy? It's freezing out here."