[Chapter 19] Who Was That?

-Anthony's POV-

I was lying on a couch, watching a movie and fighting to stay awake. Just as my eyes had shut, my phone vibrated, waking me with a start. I rubbed my eyes with one of my hands and pulled my phone out with the other.

Today 8:30p.m. Cass: I'm coming home, just about to board the plane. Should be back around midnight. Hope to see you then?

I sat straight up and scrambled to text her back as quickly as possible.

I pressed "send" and rushed to the front door, slipping into my sweatshirt that was hanging on the coat rack and picking my keys up off of the opened roll-top desk. Before leaving, I yelled back into the house, "Thanks for letting me stay here, mom!"

"No problem!" She called as I opened the front door and rushed out to my car, hopping in the driver's seat and speeding in the direction of the airport. Once I got there, I burst into the airport, probably looking like a madman. I had gotten here way early, but early was better than late, right?

I found my way into the terminal and sat down in one of the many seats facing the window that gave a lovely view of the runway and the sunset that in a few minutes was going to disappear. I pulled out my phone and prepared myself for Cassidy's arrival.

*****

I was sitting in the terminal of the San Francisco airport at midnight, waiting for Cassidy to return from her trip to Chicago. In my lap was my sweatshirt and in my hands was my less-than-twenty-percent-battery-left iPhone that I played Rubby Bird on for the last four hours I'd been waiting here. I was having trouble keeping my eyes open when the voice over the loud speaker announced, "Flight 546 from Chicago, Illinois has just landed."

I had a sudden burst of energy, jumping to my feet and making my over to where Cassidy and Carter would be at any second. With each tick of the clock all the way across the terminal, the more and more nervous I got. But when I saw the long platinum blonde hair and the blue eyes, all of the nervousness washed away. Cassidy had that kind of effect on me.

She made eye contact with me and a huge smile crawled onto her face. She dropped her bags and rushed up to me. I dropped the bouquet I bought with what little cash I had on me and picked her up in my arms, spinning her around before setting her back down on the ground.

"I missed you so much," I told her, wrapping my arms around her waist and pulling her close to me.

"I missed you too." She retorted, slinging her arms around my neck and getting on her tiptoes to kiss me.

But before we could kiss, Carter approached us with Cassidy's bags and left them by our feet. "You guys should really get a room before you start stripping each other's clothes off. You know, there are children around. They don't need to be seeing things like that," She joked.

Cassidy rolled her eyes before her friend informed us that she'd be waiting outside for us. I nodded my head in understanding. Cassidy looked up at me and ran her fingers through my hair, "Did you do something different?" She cocked her head to the side and bit her lip, "Like get a haircut?"

I laughed, "No, I didn't get a haircut."

"Oh, well, whatever you did, I like it," She grinned.

I heaved a sigh and said, "Cass, we need to talk."

She stepped out of the embrace and crossed her arms over her chest, "What do we need to talk about?"

"You know what we have to talk about," I retorted very seriously, more serious than I think I've ever been in my entire life. She looked at me, waiting for me to say something. I swallowed hard before saying, "Okay, I'm just going to say it. Are we together or not?"

She shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know."

"Well, Kalel and I no longer together," I slipped my hands into my jean pockets as Cassidy's eyes widened, "Yep. While you were gone, she and I talked a few times and...things just, didn't work out between us. She doesn't know what you and I have done or how long we've been doing it, but she knows I love you. The engagement's called off and she doesn't want anything to do with me anymore." I tried to sound as cheerful as I could, despite the seriousness of the news.

"Really?" She asked, as if I was lying to her. I nodded my head yes, "That's crazy. Because while I was gone, my ex and I talked a few times too and...things didn't work out between us either." A slight smile grew on her face.

We kind of just looked at each other with smiles on our faces before we heard Carter's voice shout, "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? KISS HER!" I looked back and saw her still in the terminal, unlike she said she'd be, with her arms crossed over her chest and her foot tapping impatiently against the linoleum floors.

"WHY DON'T YOU GO WAIT FOR US OUTSIDE LIKE YOU SAID YOU WOULD?" Cassidy yelled back to her friend. I couldn't really see it from where I was standing, but I bet Carter rolled her eyes before turning around and trudging out of the airport.

"Cassidy," I said, looking back at the girl I loved and seeing her now looking over her shoulder. Her eyes widened. "What? What is it?"

"Kiss me," She demanded, looking back at me.

"What?"

Before I got a response, she grabbed me by the collar and pressed her lips against mine, kissing me like she would before the two of us would stumble towards her bed, ripping each other's clothes off. Except this time there was no bed and we most definitely weren't stripping down to our underwear.

Instead of closing my eyes like I normally would, I kept them open, trying to see what she was looking at before. That's when I noticed a familiar face pass by the two of us. The person had a look on their face that I've never seen before. It was sad, envious, angry, jealous, hateful, all at once. He must've noticed my gaze because he immediately looked away and picked up his already-fast pace. That's when Cassidy pulled out of the kiss and sighed, "I missed that while I was gone." A smirk grew on her face.

"What was that about, Cass?" I questioned, "Who was that?"

"Who was who?" She inquired, picking up her suitcase.

I took it into my possession (you know, to be a gentleman), and the two of us started making our way out of the airport. "You know, that guy who walked by."

"A lot of guys walked by us," She retorted.

"Yeah, but...this guy was looking at us," I replied, opening the door for her. The two of us walked through the door and were immediately intercepted by Carter.

"Oh my god," She whispered into Cass's ear, loud enough for me to hear, "I swear I just saw Connor walk out of this airport. You said he came to Chicago to talk to you, right? What if he was on the same flight as us!?!"

Connor! A light bulb went off in my head, Connor Franta! That's why the guy looked familiar!

Cassidy scoffed and said, "I know, I saw him too. I don't know if he was on the same flight, though."

Wait, does that mean that Connor...?

The two girls started talking about other things as we got into the car, Carter in the back, Cassidy in the passenger's seat, and me in the driver's seat. As I put the keys into the ignition, I see a familiar face. But I couldn't put a name to the face. And when I blinked, they weren't there anymore. What the hell? I shrugged it off and turned the keys, starting the car up. I looked over and saw that Cassidy was looking in the same direction I had, and a look of confusion was plastered on her face. Maybe I'm not crazy.

"Do you know who that was?" I asked Cass.

She glanced over at me, "What?"

"You saw him too, right?"

"Saw who?"

I shook my head and pressed down on the gas pedal, propelling us forward, "Never mind. Hey, Cart-" I started to ask when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw Carter fast asleep. I rolled my eyes and returned my attention to the road. She and Cassidy and their sleep, super important or bad shit will happen.

"So," Cassidy remarked, looking over at me, "Where are you going to stay now that you called it off with Kalel? Are you going to stay with Ian?"

I chuckled nervously, "About that..."