[Chapter 10] Things Would Be Different

-Anthony's POV-

I was speeding towards Cassidy's apartment in the middle of the night after leaving Ian's, one hand on the wheel and the other hand holding my phone up to my ear. The phone rang and rang and I eventually was sent to voicemail.

"Hey! I'm sorry I couldn't pick up. I'll get back to you as soon as possible!" Cassidy said for the fifth time. I growled and chucked my phone into the passenger's seat.

Cassidy was the only person I wanted to see right now. Ian pissed me off and Kalel, I just couldn't go back. She'd only cry her eyes out, telling me how I don't love her anymore. Which isn't true. I stj,, do love and care about her, just...not as much as I did about four years ago.

I pulled onto the side of the road and turned my car off, getting out and walking into the apartment building. I didn't even wait for the elevator, I went straight to the stairs and went up those. After reaching the floor Cassidy lived on, I rushed down the hallway and up to her door, knocking three times. There was no sign of anyone answering the door anytime soon.

"Cassidy! Come on, not picking up my calls and now you're locking me out? Please, let me in!" I begged. I waited a little before pressing my ear up against the closed door, trying to hear any sounds of movement or speech. Nothing. I took a step back and stared at her door in curiosity.

She should be home. The trip was cancelled. I mean, she could've been out of the house with Carter doing things girls do. Or she could be in the recording studio working on a new song. But she would've said something to me about it and it was in the middle of the night. She should be here. Why don't I call her just one more time? I told myself as I pulled my phone out and dialed her number.

It rang for a few times before she actually picked up, "Anthony?"

"Cassidy!" I yelled at her, "I've been calling you like crazy! Why haven't you been answering my calls?"

"Maybe because it's three in the morning?"

"No, it's one in the..." I began to say when I cut myself short, "Wait...where are you?"

"Chicago," She answered groggily.

I raised my eyebrow in confusion, "I thought you said the trip was cancelled."

There was a short pause before she sighed, "Look, I lied to you, okay?" I rolled my eyes and crossed my free arm over my chest, "When your fiance called, I realized that...if you came...with me to Chicago...things would be...different between us."

"I know, Cass, but..."

"I don't want things to be different between us," She continued. I closed my eyes and rested my forehead against the wall. "I like things the way they are, Anthony."

"I do too, but..."

She wasn't done. "Taking you to meet my family...it...it overwhelmed me. And anyways, you have Kalel to worry about."

"Cassidy!"

"I don't want to get in the way of you marrying the love of your life, just because-"

"CASSIDY!" I yelled. The other end of the line went completely silent. I sighed, "I realized something too. I really like you. A lot. And...even though things are fine just the way they are, I can't be fucking around anymore. It's either we're together or we're not." Silence. "You see, my friend, he...I talked to him. About you, about us. And he said that...that I haven't been myself these past few months. And he's right. Before, I never thought I would do something like I'm doing right now to Kalel, but now..."

"I need to go, Anthony. Goodnight," Cassidy told me before hanging up. I heaved a sigh and turned around, leaning up against the wall and sliding down it until I was sitting on the floor, knees to my chest. I covered my face with my hands.