[Chapter 6] We Don't Bite

-Cassidy's POV-

The entire flight to Chicago was miserable. The cabin was overcrowded and hot. Out of all the chairs I could've gotten, I got the chair with the kid constantly kicking the back of my seat. I couldn't fall asleep and we hit a storm halfway there, making the ride very rough - causing Carter to have to go to the bathroom to throw up. And it didn't help that I couldn't stop thinking about what happened right before I left for the airport.

I had gotten dressed for the day. A pair of dark denim skinny jeans and a white tank top with my brother's band's name on it. While I was fixing my hair, I heard a knock from the front room. I froze up and waited for another knock, which did sound. I set down the curling iron and walked into the front room. Another knock, followed by his familiar voice.

"Cassidy! Open up!"

My eyes widened, "No...it can't be..." I murmured to myself, "What is he doing here?"

"Cassidy, come on, I know you're in there."

I slowly approached the door and opened it. I faked a smile, "Connor, what a surprise!"

"Sorry, did I come at a bad time?"

"Kind of, I was just heading out, so..."

"I promise it won't be long, please," He said, "It's...it's kind of important, Cass."

I crossed my arms and sighed, "I guess."

He smirked and walked in. I was about to close the door behind him when I saw Carter out in the hallway. She mouthed to me that she would be in the car. I nodded my head in understanding and closed the door, turning around to face my ex-boyfriend. "So, what's so important that you needed to talk to me about, Connor?"

He sat down on my couch and put his head in his hands, "I'm just going say it, Cass," He looked up at me, "I'm lost without you." He stood back up as I crossed my arms over my chest, "I don't think I've ever been sadder. I can't sleep, I can't eat." He approached me and tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear, "I miss you, Cass."

I swallowed hard and kept my eyes locked on the ground.

"Tell me you miss me too," He said in a whisper, placing his index finger under my chin and tilting my head up so I was looking at him.

I stepped back, "No, Connor, I don't." His face dropped. "Look, you and I...we didn't work out. You had your YouTube career and I had my music career."

"But I quit!" He exclaimed. My eyes widened, "I quit Our Second Life. Just for you." I stared at him in disbelief. He made the space between us smaller and said, "So please, I'm begging you, give me a second chance."

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. I closed my mouth and shook my head, "I have to go, Connor. I'd like it if you left too."

He slowly nodded his head in understanding and left the apartment. I closed the door behind him and went back to the bathroom, putting everything away. I was shaking the entire time. I couldn't believe it. He quit. For me.

I walked back out and locked the apartment up before rushing out to my car where Carter was sitting in the passenger seat.

"So, what'd he want to talk about?" She asked me as I started the car up.

"Nothing," I quickly replied before stepping down on the gas pedal and shooting forward.

Luckily the flight was only five hours. Once we landed and got our bags, we got a cab and were on our way to my mom's house, which was also the house I grew up in. I say that only because my parents divorced and when they did, our older siblings moved away with our dad to god-knows-where and Patrick and I stayed with our mom in Chicago.