[Chapter 12] Group Hug

-Carter's POV-

I couldn't sleep I was so in shock by how much applause Cassidy and I got for our song at that. I'd never experienced this before. It was kind of overwhelming.

The light turned on and I sat up, seeing Cassidy pacing back and forth before sitting down on her window seat. "Cassidy?" I asked, ripping my sheets off of me and getting out of the pull-out bed. She looked back at me.

"Sorry if I woke you," She apologized, pulling her legs into her chest and resting her chin on her knees. She averted her gaze out of the window at the night sky.

"No, it's okay. I couldn't sleep anyways," I crossed my arms over my chest, "What are you doing up?"

She shrugged her shoulders "Couldn't sleep."

"Thinking about Anthony?" I teased. Cassidy remained silent, which usually was her signal to me that she was. "Ooh, what about him?"

"I'm not thinking about him, Carter," She corrected me, looking over at me. That's when I noticed the faded streaks of mascara down her cheeks and how her eyes were pink and bloodshot. "I'm thinking about Connor."

"Why?" I walked over and sat on the opposite end of the window seat.

"JC called me," She replied softly, "He said he's really worried about Connor. Connor hasn't talked to him, or anyone for that matter, in the past few days. No one's seen him, no one's heard from him..." She shook her head and tears started forming in her eyes, "I'm worried about him, Carter."

I leaned forward and placed my hand on her shoulder in a comforting way, "I'm sure he's fine, Cass."

"What if he's not!?!" She argued, swinging her legs over the side and getting to her feet, pacing back and forth again, "He's been depressed, Carter. What if he did something bad? Something he'd regret?"

"Connor wouldn't do something like that," I tried to reassure her, "He's not that kind of guy."

She sat down on the edge of her bed and covered her face with her hands, "I don't know what to do, Carter."

I sat down beside her and rubbed her back.

*****

The next day was pretty laid back. We just hung around the house, playing music, playing video games, and watching TV. Pete even decided to give me some bass lessons. We were in the basement apart from everyone else. (I think they were watching a movie.) He was sitting across me, showing me which strings to pluck and how to hold the guitar correctly.

He chuckled, "You're a natural."

I laughed, "Thanks, but I'm no where near becoming the bassist you are."

Pete looked up at me with his brown eyes, "You just started learning."

"I know, but...still..."

"Still nothing. There's nothing to deny that," He told me.

I felt a blush creep up onto my cheeks as he said that. Him saying this brings tears to my eyes.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked, his voice full of concern. He set his bass on the ground and moved himself so he was sitting right beside me. I lowered my head, hating myself for crying in front of him.

I murmured my answer to him, "Truth is, Pete, this isn't my first time playing. My mom taught me how to play before...before she died."

And then Pete did something that I never thought would happen in a million years, he hugged me. I felt the tears that fell from his eyes. The two of us stayed in the embrace long enough to where everyone had come downstairs and found us.

"Group hug!" Joe yelled before he, Pete, Andy, and Cassidy rushed up to Pete and I and huddled in, wrapping their arms around Pete and me.

"T-thanks guys," I stuttered through the tears as they all took a step back. I wiped under my eyes and said, "Gosh, I just keep making an embarrassment out of myself in front of you guys." I chuckled. Everyone else laughed a little too. Except Pete. He was crying. I think he didn't want his band members to see because he was turned around, facing away from everyone. I placed my hand on his shoulder in a comforting way.

Shortly after, everyone dismissed. Before I could leave, Cassidy caught me by the arm. I glanced over my shoulder at her, "What?"

She dropped her arm to her side and asked, "What happened down here?"

"Pete just wanted to teach me how to play bass," I answered her truthfully. The room was completely empty now (besides the two of us).

"But you already know how to play."

"Yeah, and?" A smirk grew on her face. "What? You know I hate it when you keep things from me, Cass..."

"It's nothing," She retorted, her smile growing even wider as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Seriously, Cass," I smacked her on the arm, "What is it?"

"I'm going out on a limb here, but...is there a possibilty that you have a crush on Pete?" Instead of giving her a yes/no answer, I just stared at her, my cheeks growing a bright red color. "Oh my god! You so do!"

"No I so do not!" I cried, "And maybe next time you could be just a little bit quieter?"

"I'm sorry," She apologized, "I just...I think it's so cute that you like him!" She clapped her hands together. I rolled my eyes, she was totally overreacting to this.

-Pete's POV-

As the guys and I went up the stairs, Patrick tapped me on the shoulder. I looked over at him. "So, teaching Carter how to play bass..." He commented very awkwardly.

I gave him a weird look, "Yeah...and?"

"You did that with Ashlee," He reminded me.

"What are you implying, Patrick?"

He slipped his hands into his jean pockets before saying, "I...I'm just wondering if you like Carter."

"What made you think that?"

"Pete, I see the way you look at her. It's the same look you gave Ashlee and it's the same look you used to give Meagan. You're kind of obvious with it too." I swallowed hard. "So...you do like her?"

"I...I might," I stuttered, crossing my arms over my chest, "So what? She's going back to California with Cassidy at the end of this week, so even if I did like her, nothing can come out of it. She'll be doing her music in California and I'll be doing mine all over the place. Not to mention Meagan, our unborn son or daughter, and Bronx. We just...we would never work out." I spun around and rushed away in the direction Joe and Andy escaped to.

"You don't know that!" He called after me.