[Chapter 5] Something On The Side

-Carter's POV-

As I packed my bags at five in the morning (because Cassidy invited me to come with her to Chicago for "The Dinner", as she liked to call it, the day before and I totally forgot about it until she reminded me last night), I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like. Now, she's invited me to this before, but I could never make it because I was always busy with my music career.

Yes, I have a music career. That's actually one of the reason Cassidy and I moved to California together. She composes the songs and I add and sing the lyrics. Cassidy does backup for me sometimes, but she's not one for singing unless she's trying to figure out a tune.

The two of us met in freshman year of high school when she was one of the students brought in by our choir teacher from the band to accompany one of the pieces we were doing. She played the drums. So one day after school, she stayed after to work on her instrument part and I stayed after to get help for my singing part. While we were waiting for the teacher, I walked over to her and asked her what her name is. She gave me the weirdest look before telling me her name was Cassidy. I told her my name and the two of us began to talk. After that, I discovered we had the same lunch period, except she sat alone. So one day out of the blue, I sat with her, which seemed to surprise her. I ended up sitting there the rest of the year. By the end of the year, we were best friends.

Back to present day, I could never come with her to Chicago because whenever she seemed to go, I was always in the recording studio which is in Los Angeles, singing. But this year, I was here and I could go. I didn't know what to expect.

Once I finished packing, it was six o'clock and our flight was at seven thirty. I had to get Cassidy up, as well as Anthony (I think she mentioned he would be coming). I walked out of my room and over to hers, which was right across the hall. I creaked the door open and saw her lying in bed alone. I raised my eyebrow in confusion.

I shrugged my shoulders, shaking off the confusion. First attempt: "Cass, wake up!" I said to her from the doorway. No response.

I rolled my eyes and walked in. Second attempt: I approached her and shook her gently, saying more loudly than before, "Cassidy, wake up! It's almost time to go!" Still no response.

I stepped back and crossed my arms. Third attempt: I shook her violently and shouted, "CASSIDY! WAKE UP! WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF AN EARTHQUAKE!"

"What!?!" She screamed, immediately sitting up. I laughed as she looked around the room worriedly. She realized there was no earthquake and glared up at me, throwing her pillow at me, "Don't joke about something like that, Carter!"

I deflected the pillow and continued to laugh, "Well telling you nicely doesn't do the job." She swung her legs over the side of the bed. "Hey, where's Anthony? Isn't he supposed to be over this week?"

"Yeah, but I made him go home," She answered groggily, rubbing her eyes and rising to her feet.

"What? Why?" I whined.

Before Cassidy met Anthony, I don't think I've ever seen her happier. Not even when she was dating Connor. (And they were inseparable when they first started dating. Trust me. I was there.) She and Anthony were so cute together. When they weren't in her bedroom, they'd usually snuggle on the couch or sit at her piano together - she would be working on a new song and he would tell her how great it was. She even wrote a song about him. She made me sing it, and it was really good. I want to record it, but she refuses to let me. I don't know why though.

"I made a mistake."

"What mistake?" I gasped, "Wait, did you guys break up?"

"No, we didn't break up," She reassured me.