[Chapter 14] Sob Story

-Pete's POV-

"Carter?" I called in hopes she would respond to me. I had made my way upstairs and saw that the only door closed was the one to Cassidy's bedroom. I grasped the doorknob and turned it, pushing the door open slightly.

"I'm not going, Cas-" Carter started to say as I walked through the door. She was sitting on the window seat. "What are you doing here, Pete?"

"I heard you won't go visit your dad," I remarked, approaching her. She set her feet down on the ground and stood up. "Why is that?"

She hung her head, "I don't think you really want to hear my sob story."

"Well of course I do," I sat down on the end of Cassidy's bed, "If I didn't I wouldn't have brought it up."

Carter crossed her arms over her chest and sighed, "Pete, I really don't want to talk about it. Things just happened that..."

"When I was younger, I'd say it started in high school, things weren't very good between my dad and me," I admitted to her, cutting her off, "High school was the worst years of my life by far. I was constantly bullied at school for how I dressed and what I did. It didn't stop there, I was bullied at home too. My dad would constantly rip on me for not being the son he wanted. Music meant nothing to him. He was disappointed that I didn't want to play sports." Carter sat back down on the window seat. I hung my head, "My dad always compared me to my younger brothers, because they were exactly what he wanted in a son." I chuckled and shrugged my shoulders, "My mom was the only person who was there for me. Once I graduated, I moved out and...all communication with my family was cut off. Until my dad died." Her eyes widened. "My mom called me, told me the news, and you know what I did? I told her I'm sorry and hung up. I didn't even go to his funeral. I didn't give a fuck about that bastard, what had he done for me? Why should I cry over his dead body?" I swallowed hard and said in a whisper, "How I wish I could go back in time and do things differently."

"What does this have to do with me not wanting to visit my dad?" She inquired.

I rose to my feet and said, "Carter, go visit your dad. Ask him how he's doing. Regardless of what he did. Because you don't want to end up like me, regretting never making things right between the two of you."

There was a long pause before Carter looked up at me and murmured, "Will you come with me, Pete?"

"Sure, I'd love to," I replied, smiling slightly. She walked up to me and I wrapped my arm around her shoulder, leading us out of the room. She said she needed to go to the bathroom before we left, so I went downstairs without her. I found Cassidy in the living room, talking to someone over the phone.

"What do you mean you're here, Connor?" She yelled into the phone. I stopped in the doorway, not wanting to get involved in whatever was going on. "No, I...this is just...unexpected, that's all." She ran her fingers through her hair, "Yeah, I guess I can meet you there." She turned so she was facing me. When noticed me, she dropped her phone to the ground. "Pete. Hey. How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough to know that something's going on. So, what's going on, Cass?" I asked, approaching her and picking up her phone for her. I handed it to her and she took it into her possession.

"It's...it's nothing," She stuttered, crossing her arms over her chest, "Did Carter change her mind?"

"Yeah, she did," I answered, "She actually wants me to come along. Is that okay with you? I know you were the one who was going to go with her..."

"That's great actually," She ran her fingers through her blonde hair once more, "Because I can't go. I have somewhere else to be. So, yeah, it's more than okay with me if you go with her."

I smiled, "Thanks, Cass."

"No problem."

"Alright, are we ready to go?" Carter inquired as she made her way down the stairs.

"Actually it's just going to be you and me, Carter," I informed her. Carter gave Cass and me a weird look. "Cassidy forgot she has somewhere to be."

"Yeah, I'm really sorry about that, Carter," Cassidy apologized.

"It's okay. Let's go, Pete," Carter said, turning around and walking towards the front door. I flashed Cassidy a quick grin before following Carter out.

-Cassidy's POV-

I walked into the kitchen to find my mom working on the huge dinner she was making for tonight. It was only eleven in the morning and she was already preparing the meal that was usually finished around seven at night.

"Hey, mom," I greeted as I slipped into one of the bar stools of the island that was covered in different and separated ingredients.

She glanced over her shoulder at me and grinned, "Hey, Cassie-poo, what's up?"

I hung my head and murmured, "Mom, can I talk to you about something?"

She stopped cooking and turned around, "Of course. What is it that you need for talk about?"

"So, in California, there's these two guys. One of them was my boyfriend for more than a year. And then the other one...I've been seeing him for the past eight months and three weeks. The catch? He's engaged. To some other girl." I looked up at her, anticipating her confused look. But instead it was just a blank stare. "The first one wants me back, and...I don't know whether or not I want to be with him again. And then there's the second guy, who...whose relationship I have with him, I don't want to change. But at the same time I do and," I covered my face with my hands, "I'm worried if things change, something like what happened between the first guy and me will happen again and I...I..." I was broke down crying I was so overwhelmed.

My mom walked around the island and pulled me into a side hug, "Oh, Cassidy, don't cry. You know I can't stand it when you cry." She kissed my head.

"I don't know what to do, mom!" I cried.

"Hey, mom, I-" Patrick's voice sounded. I looked back, my eyes red and puffy, and saw him standing in the doorway. He met my gaze and immediately said, "I'll come back later." He spun around and walked out.

"Cassidy, you're an adult now. Twenty-one years old. You're going to have to do what your heart tells you to do," My mom advised me, pushing my hair back from my face.

I sniffled before saying, "The first guy's here, in Chicago, mom. He wants to meet up at the Hard Rock Cafe. To talk." I glanced up at her, "I told him I'd meet him there, but...what if I don't want to go? He already tried talking to me before I came here."

"Yeah? And?" She rubbed my back.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know if I want to talk to him again."

She sighed and walked back around the island, going back to preparing the dinner, "Go meet up with the poor boy, Cassidy. What's the worst that can happen?"