[Chapter 15] It Wasn't Right

-Carter's POV-

Pete and I were driving down the streets, me in the driver seat because I knew the way to my dad's house and he didn't. It wasn't too far away from the Stumps' house. In high school, I'd walk from there to my house almost every day after school.

"So, now that you know my background, what about yours?" Pete attempted to spark a conversation.

I glanced over at him briefly before returning my attention to the road. "What do you mean?"

"The sob story you said I didn't want to hear."

I chuckled nervously, "You still want to hear it?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know," I looked over at him quickly and saw he was waiting for me. I heaved a sigh and began, "Well, my mom died when I was young. I was in eighth grade. It was hard, dealing with her loss. But my dad...he changed after she died. He...he started drinking, leaving all hours of the night, he might've even been doing drugs for all I know. He never did anything to my sister or me, he just...he wasn't the dad he should've been." Silence presided over the car. I cleared my throat before continuing, "Ever since I left for California, I just...I haven't talked to him. I talked to my sister because she was in fifth grade when we moved and still lives with him because she's still in school, but not him."

"I'm so sorry, Carter," Pete remarked softly.

I shrugged my shoulders, "It's not your fault. I mean, if it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't have left and started my music career. He just...he would always say I was wasting my time, singing that is. He was never proud of me. Never." My throat felt like it was closing up. "I hated him for that. And I still do. That's why I didn't, and still don't, want to visit him," I looked over at the Fall Out Boy member, "But I guess it's too late to turn back, right?"

He gave me a sympathetic smile.

The two of us pulled into the driveway of my old house within the next few minutes. It wasn't anything like Cassidy and Patrick's house. It was a one story house and the neighborhood might've been more crowded than theirs. We got out of the car and walked up the steps of the porch that were slowly rotting away. I approached the door, Pete right behind me. I knocked three times and took a step back.

We stood out there for about a minute before the door cracked open. I could see an eye above the chain door guard in the darkness behind the door. The person standing behind the door undid the lock and opened the door fully. It was my sister. Scarlet. She squealed in delight and pulled me into a hug. "What are you doing here, Carter?" She asked as she stepped out the embrace.

"I'm here to visit dad, actually. See how he's doing," I answered.

She tilted her head to the side and asked, "Who's this?"

I looked over my shoulder and then back at her, "You mean Pete?"

"Pete," A smirk grew on her face and she pushed me to the side, stepping forward and hugging Pete. "It's so nice to meet you, Pete." A confused look crossed his face before her hugged her back. I rolled my eyes and walked inside.

"Dad?" I called, walking into the living room and seeing no one in there. I spun around and walked into the dining room. No one. Kitchen. No one. I walked into the bedroom hallway and called "Dad?" once again. I opened his bedroom door and found him sitting at his desk, on a laptop. He looked over his shoulder at me over his glasses.

"Carter?"

"Yup, in the flesh," I stepped into the room, "How have you been?"

He took his glasses off and got up out of the rolling chair, "I...I've been good." He looked a lot better than I last remembered. He was smiling. He didn't have bags under his eyes. His hair didn't look so gray and greasy. The smell of alcohol he carried with him everywhere was no longer there. He might've even lost a little weight.