[Chapter 18] Just Friends

-Cassidy's POV-

That night, I couldn't sleep (not that I've been able to sleep much these last few days anyways).

I was lying on my back, staring at the ceiling as I thought about Carter told me. That I should to talk to Connor and tell him I'm in love with someone else. Which made me think - am I really in love with Anthony or is he just that late-night call I answer? I mean, if he was just that call, he wouldn't be sneaking behind his fiance's back just to see me, right? What we have must be something more, it's got to be. Plus, Anthony is always finding time for me, unlike Connor.

I sighed and turned over on my side, now staring at the wall.

I didn't know what to do. All I knew is that this would not be an easy decision.

*****

"I'm sorry," I apologized to the person on the other end of the line. I was pacing back and forth in my bedroom and had my free hand that wasn't holding my cell phone up to my ear on my hip, "I just...I don't think I can work things out with you."

"Cassidy, you can't be serious," The person I called retorted.

I did my best to hold back the sniffles and tears in my eyes, but ultimately failed. "I'm...I'm so sorry," I hung up and sat down on the end of my bed, throwing my phone behind me and covering my face with my hands.

"Uh...Cass?"

I looked up and saw Pete standing in the doorway of my bedroom. I wiped under my eyes and rose to my feet, "Hey, Pete. What's up?"

"I was just going to ask if you were going to go in the water park or not," He responded, cautiously stepping into my bedroom as if I were going to attack him or something, "I'm wondering if I should wear my swim trunks or not."

I scratched behind my head, "Yeah, why wouldn't I be going to the water park? You know it's my favorite part of Six Flags."

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Along with the traditional "Dinner" on Thursday, we went to Six Flags on Friday, the last day we would see each other until the next time, and spend the day riding roller coasters and going on the slides in the water park. Except only a few of us went in the water park. My mom only went on roller coasters and Patrick's too self-conscience to wear a swimsuit. Andy...he doesn't really like to go in the water park either. I don't know why though. So usually it was just Pete, Joe, and me who stripped down to our swimsuits and got soaked head to toe. I wasn't sure if Carter was going to or not, I'm not sure if she brought her swimsuit.

"I don't know, I was just wondering because Carter's not going on."

"Oh, yeah, I'm still going to the water park," I answered.

He nodded his head in understanding and turned around. I spun around too and was about to go back to crying when Pete asked, "Hey, um, one more thing."

"Yeah?" I replied, not looking back at him.

"Want to tell me what's getting you down?"

I glanced over my shoulder and faked a smile, "It's nothing."

"You know nothing always means something when it comes to you," He retorted, slipping his hands into the pockets of his skinny jeans. "So, what is it?"

I stared at him for the longest time before pivoting my body so I was facing him. "Well, if you'd like to know, I just broke someone's heart."

"Whose heart did you break?" He questioned.

Before I could give him an answer, Patrick popped up behind Pete and announced loudly, "We're leaving in five minutes, so get ready!"

Pete glared back at Patrick, "Thanks for yelling in my ear, Pattycakes."

Patrick smirked and patted his friend's shoulder, "You're welcome, Petey." Patrick walked away. Pete heaved a sigh and followed after him. I quickly slipped into my bikini and put my clothes back on. I rushed downstairs and met everyone outside.

"Do we have everything and everybody?" My mom asked.

"Yes!" We all exclaimed enthusiastically in unison.

*****

"That was the best time I think I've ever had," Carter remarked excitedly as we walked out of the amusement park and into the parking lot where Fall Out Boy's tour bus was parked all the way in the back.

"You should bring Carter more often, Cassidy," Pete suggested as he wrapped his arm around Carter and pulled him closer to his side, "She's a lot of fun to have around." I gave him a slight grin in response.

We reached the tour bus and boarded, plopping down in the closest seat we could find, exhausted. Patrick sat down beside me and sighed audibly in relief. I looked over at him, causing him to look over at me. "What?"

I shrugged my shoulders and averted my gaze to where Pete and Carter were sitting. The two of them were whispering things back and forth to each other and giggling and shit. I don't think I'd ever seen Carter smile so much than she was right then. I smirked as the bus started up and we went back to the house to pack up and leave for the airport.

*****

Carter and I were in my bedroom and putting all our dirty clothes that my mom insisted on cleaning the day before (so they weren't really dirty, just worn) into our suitcases. I looked up at Carter and saw her still smiling from the tour bus. "So," I remarked, closing my suitcase and zipping it up, "You and Pete."

She glanced up at me and giggled, "Yeah, what about us?"

"Well you guys seemed to really hit it off."

I watched as her already pink cheeks grew pinker, "Nah...we're just...friends."

"Just friends?" I repeated in disbelief, which seemed to throw her off a little, "Carter, you and he didn't leave each other's sides the entire time at the park. He didn't even go in the water park because you didn't bring your swimsuit. And he always goes in the water park."

"What are you saying?" She retorted defensively as she slammed the top of her suitcase down.

"I'm just saying that...you guys...don't seem like...just friends."

"Well that's what we are, Cass, nothing more," She zipped her suitcase up and picked up it off of my bed, "I'll be downstairs waiting for you. Don't take too long, I don't want to miss our flight." And with that, she stormed out of my childhood bedroom. I rolled my eyes and picked up my suitcase, following after her.

As I got to the bottom of the stairs, I saw my mom giving all the members of Fall Out Boy a kiss on the cheek and a "I can't wait to see you again". She moved on to Carter and I, but in addition to the kiss on the cheek and send off, my mom told Carter it was nice seeing her. I wished the guys good luck on the rest of their tour, in which they replied good luck with our music career and they want to hear more of our songs on the radio. We gave Patrick's and my mom/Mrs. Stump one more goodbye before we all walked out of the house.

I got in the rental car parked behind the tour bus and waited for Carter to put our bags in the back. But before she got in the passenger's side, Pete ran over to the car and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. My eyes widened in shock. The two of them pulled out of the kiss and Pete rushed back to the tour bus. Carter hopped in the passenger seat and buckled her seatbelt before looking over at me, "What?"

"After that," I motioned out the window as if they were still kissing, "Do you still think that you guys are 'just friends'?"

She hung her head, "Cassidy, it doesn't matter," She looked out her window,  "Because he and I will probably never see each other in person again."

I opened my mouth to tell her that's not true when the driver of the tour bus honked the horn, indicating that he wanted me to start moving. I flipped him off (the driver and I had a predicament a few years ago and things weren't that great between us) before starting the car up and backing out of the tight driveway.