◈ Commenting & Reviewing Tips ◈

Written by: ChayAvalerias, The3dreamers, mokbook, DawnStarlingSapphireAlena

How to Review for #NBR

For many, writing a review may seem daunting. Not everyone starts out as a star reviewer. It takes practice and sometimes a bit of trial and error, but to help you embark on your reviewing journey Our Champion Reviewer, Triple Crowner & Retired Board Member ChayAvalerias; Triple Crowner & Retired Board Member The3Dreamers; NBR Retired Moderator & Triple Crowner mokbook; NBR Founder & Overseer DawnStarling; and NBR Overseer & Double Champion Reviewer SapphireAlena have put together a comprehensive guide.  

Be Aware of Your Critic's Voice

Before we get into specifics about how to write a review, let's define what we mean by a review. At #NBR, we prefer the word review instead of critique. Critiquing almost always implies being a critic, which usually involves criticizing, evaluating, and finding flaws in something.

In contrast, a review presents strengths, weaknesses, and possibilities for the manuscript. Reviews serve to support the author. Nonetheless, sometimes our critic's voice can flare up into our reviews. Here are some strategies to avoid being a critic.

 Here are some strategies to avoid being a critic

1. Focus on the Assignment, NOT the genre. This is one of the most important rules you must abide by. In #NBR, you will read genres you may not like or be familiar with. To avoid biases, it's important to focus on the author's questions, not the genre. Doing so will help you remain open-minded, thus ensuring you put forth the most fair review for your fellow NBR member.

2. Use a kind tone. Sticks and stone may break your bones, but words can destroy your confidence in writing! Writers have left this community because of the tone in the reviews they received.

#NBR is about community and writers helping writers. So, please use phrases like "might consider" instead of "must do" or "I wasn't sure about this" instead of "your writing was confusing." When we are in a rush our words can convey a message that might be more harsh than we intended.

So, review with patience, kindness, and generosity. Write with a smile on your face and let your review emanate from there.

Equally important is your tone when replying to the author or discussing with fellow members about an author's work. Remember that the author may be under a lot of pressure and stress. Your tone, language, and words can either positively or negatively affect them. Bottom line: be thoughtful and considerate.