THE SPOTLIGHT: Season III, Issue 5

Sometimes it feels like I'm caught in a rip current and it seems hopeless to fight against the forces pulling me at all ends

Sometimes it feels like I'm caught in a rip current and it seems hopeless to fight against the forces pulling me at all ends. For me, it started with NaNoWriMo. I'd never given the program a go and had always wanted to, so I went all-in.

Surprise! Less than a month later, I held the first draft of my novella in my hands. So, November did bear some fruit at least. But the Thanksgiving holiday kicked my rear; it's so much work to entertain for a larger crowd. And now you're thinking, jeez, Holiday must be really old.

Some days, I feel the weight of age more so than others. But I digress.

Fast forward.

Christmas lights—then my anniversary and throw in a few birthdays—and I feel more like I've been in the boxing ring for the last month and a half. And I haven't even started my Christmas shopping yet!

Your point, Holiday, you say.

My point is: I get it. So kick back and relax, enjoy this issue of The Spotlight. There's an informative article that continues redtoadmedia's thread on Literary Alchemy. We have our latest Triple Crowner, and NBR's first challenge winner has been announced! And make sure you check out the NBR wish list section to post what your 2019 writing dreams are. Who knows? Maybe a fellow NBR member will see your wish and be able to lend a hand!

Get ready, because the countdown to the New Year has begun!

Michael Holiday - Editor in Chief

by redtoadmedia

by redtoadmedia

One Ring to rule them all...

No. Not that kind of ring. Though Tolkien did use this structure in his masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings.

Ring structure or chiastic structure is a device to tell a story. An ancient device. It's also one commonly used when applying literary alchemy, covered in an earlier article featured in the Spotlight.