THE SPOTLIGHT: Season III, Issue 9

Hello NBR!

Hello NBR!

We've had a lot of rain so far this year in California where I live, which is a blessing since there have been water shortages for the last decade. And "April showers bring May flowers" so there's that. So now might be a good time to water and feed our writing.

Good writing takes food, water and patience (playing classical music doesn't hurt either). As writers, we must decide what remains in our stories, and cull all the dead and withering branches that aren't bearing fruit. But prune carefully, NBR. Sometimes you need fingernail clippers, other times scissors, and I've had a few cases when I just broke out the chainsaw and hacked paragraphs and even chapters off.

Sound scary?

Nah.

The hardest part is letting go of our Darlings. We are like parents and can see no fault in our children that we have conceived. But we must give them discipline, right? Otherwise we wouldn't be good parents.

Things are heating up. Summer isn't that far off and I find myself missing the cold and thoughtful time of winter.

Wait—did I just say that?

Yes. Yes, I did.

Besides the cold, winter is a peaceful time for me. It's quiet and somehow the darkness soothes my writing noodle. But I need summer, too.

I know, I'm not making sense!

The warmth and life springing up everywhere is inspiring, but the quiet seasons have their place in my cycle of writing. The point is: we all need to find our own balance.

While we ponder that, why not check out this issue for some inspiration? NBR is pleased to announce the latest Triple Crown Winner, Ickyrus! Way to go you sock monger! Also, seven Spolighters sent significant summaries of their Spotlight rounds (say that 7 times fast). So take a break and read up on all of our great NBR members, and show them how much they mean to us.

They're waiting.

Have a great Spring Break everyone!

Michael Holiday - Editor in Chief