Prologue: The Howl

PROLOGUE

A shrill scream split the night air and the howls of dogs made a shiver run down my spine. Rain sprinkled down from the gray cloud above and a large shape ran towards me only to be tackled by a smaller shape.

"Heatherstar!"

I was frozen to the ground, my eyes locked onto the small apprentice pinned to the ground by a large dog.

"Heatherstar!"

For a heartbeat, I thought the dog had taken Shrewpaw's life, but another cat quickly chased the dog off and I watched the young 'paw struggle to her paws.

"Heatherstar, it's time to go!" Hawkheart suddenly stood in front of me and it took a moment to realize he was talking to me.

I nodded at him and glanced around. "Reedfeather, get Dawnstripe and let's go!" I flicked my tail at my deputy and raced for the entrance of camp, watching Shrewpaw limp past me, Whiteberry at her side, then Redclaw, Dawnstripe, Reedfeather, Hawkheart, and Cloudpool hurried after them.

"Tallpaw!" I shouted, my eyes watching the dark camp for movement.

"Heatherstar, help me!" a wail came back a few moments later, near one of the large shapes I knew as a dog.

I raced towards the wail and spotted Tallpaw, stuck in some brambles. I carefully lifted him out and then raced out of camp to where all the other warriors were waiting.

"Where do we go Heatherstar?" Redclaw asked, his eyes glued to the entrance of camp, afraid the dogs might follow.

Whiteberry glanced at Heatherstar, her eyes calm. "We should head to ThunderClan... Right Heatherstar?"

I nodded at my warrior, a burst of confidence exploding in me. "No! We must fight back against those dogs! There are three in there and we are a whole Clan. A strong Clan! Whiteberry, Dawnstripe, Cloudpool, Hawkheart stay here. Shrewpaw stay with Redclaw, Tallpaw with Reedfeather, and I will take on a dog alone." My voice was shaking but I was hopeful.

The WindClan warriors were nodding in agreement at my plan.

"Charge!" I yowled, leading the way back into camp, hearing their paws thumping against the ground behind me.

When we entered the camp there were three dogs laying in the middle, completely motionless.. The dogs were dead.

"What happened?" Tallpaw was staring at the dogs in fear.

"Greetings Heatherstar." Cedarstar exited the brambles, Stonetooth, Raggedpelt, Foxheart, Hollypaw, and Cloudpaw following after him.

ShadowClan cats! My eyes grew wide. "What do you want Cedarstar?"

"I'll let you know when I can think of something." The ShadowClan cats exited the WindClan camp gracefully, Cedarstar smiling widely as they went.

"Why were ShadowClan cats exiting WindClan camp?" Hawkheart had entered camp, his voice filled with anger. His eyes widened when he spotted the lifeless dogs. "They killed those dogs!" he growled.

I turned around, shocked, I nodded. "Yes, they did. And we are very grateful." I let out a sigh. "But they want something. And I don't know what WindClan can give them now..."

"Cinderkit! Russetkit! Dawnkit!" Cloudpool had her tail wrapped around her kits three kits who were padding towards the dogs. She was scolding them quietly.

The camp was quiet. "Redclaw, Tallpaw, Shrewpaw, Reedfeather take the dogs bodies out of our territory. Leave them there and come back. Then get your wounds checked," I commanded as Whiteberry limped to Hawkheart.

"I don't have any herbs!" the medicine cat snarled. "The dogs ripped them apart!"

I scowled at the medicine cat. "Then use basic remedies. You're a medicine cat; you know how to do your job."

Cinderkit had let out a squeak and Russetkit had wandered over to the warriors den with Dawnkit.

"Cloudpool." I flicked my tail at the queen coolly. "Are your kits okay?"

She nodded. "They're fine. Cinderkit's got a scrape and Dawnkit was bleeding from a dog's claw. But they're fine..."

"What about Russetkit?" My eyes narrowed at the smallest kit that was now poking his nose in the medicine den.

"He scared away a dog from killing Dawnkit, believe it or not. I have never saw anything like it." Her voice held wonder in it.

"He's going to be a great warrior," I commented with a frown. "I just hope not to great..." My tail flicked and I walked to my den, Russetkit's victory still fresh in my head.