Chapter Seven: Grieving

CHAPTER 7

Watching Littlepaw trip Cherrypaw almost made me laugh, it felt like I hadn't laughed in moons. Then he pinned her, but she seemed prepared for that because she moved out of the way just in time and stood up, pushing him over.

He hissed and then struggled under her paws.

"I win!" she called as she pretended to kill him.

"How was that Russettail? "Cherrypaw asked with a wide smile as she finally won.

Littlepaw stood up and turned to Cloudpool. "Sorry, I was a bit surprised by her moving away from my pounce!" He glared at his sister, but it was mostly playful.

Yesterday RiverClan took over their camp and I had helped them. Today I was training Cherrypaw because Talltail wrenched a claw hunting. "That was wonderful, Cherrypaw. You mastered the dodge and push move."

She purred at the praise. "Thanks Russettail! Can we do my warrior assignment now?"

I nodded. "Yes. We'll head to Rockpile and you can hunt there. Remember, you need to catch one rabbit in order to pass. Now go!" I flicked my tail and she took off at an incredible speed, leaving me to follow close behind.

When she'd reached the Rockpile I could already see a big juicy rabbit that she was ready to pounce on.

Now! Lunge now! I thought as she waited until the rabbit looked around and spotted her and then took off running, Cherrypaw racing after.

I watched as she lunged, tackling it she bit its neck and purred to herself and then padded over to me. "How was that?"

I nodded. "It was good. I think you'll be a great warrior. Come on!" I began to trot towards camp while Cherrypaw dragged her rabbit and followed behind me.

Cherrypaw bounced into camp, laying her rabbit down. "Look, Dawnstripe!" she called. "I caught this!"

Dawnstripe purred. "That's wonderful, Cherrypaw. It certainly is big." The she-cat licked her lips hungrily.

"Go bring your catch to Whiteberry," I commanded. "I'll go tell Heatherstar." I walked to her den and paused at the entrance. "Heatherstar? May I come in?"

"Yes you may, Russettail," came the weak reply.

I entered the den to see pieces of Chickweed and dried up moss-balls and rotten prey covering the floor. It smelled like death in here. "Cherrypaw completed her warrior assignment," I announced with a smile, trying to ignore the smell and remain optimistic that our leader would get better.

She nodded. "I'm getting too sick to even leave my nest," she chuckled with a flick of her tail, rising to her wobbly legs.

I rushed over to her, letting her lean on me. She smelled like death. Fear clawed my heart.

She gave him a small smile and together they exited the leader's den.

"Heatherstar!" Cloudpool mewed, racing up to us as we exited the den. "Littlepaw passed his assignment." My mother glanced at me. "He's ready to become a warrior."

The leader nodded. "Alright." Then she let out a yowl and scrambled up on the Tallrock, struggling not to fall over. "Let all cats that chase rabbits can join us beneath the Tallrock!"

Talltail and Shrewclaw entered the clearing from the warriors den, their ears pricked. Hawkheart and Dawnpaw entered the clearing from the medicine cats den.

When everyone gathered she continued, "Cherrypaw, Littlepaw step forward!"

The two 'paws stepped forward, their eyes gleaming. Littlepaw glanced at Shrewclaw who smiled at him.