Chapter Five: The Third Cat

CHAPTER 5

I sat silently on a large rock, my eyes closed as I focused on the prophecy. The more and more I did, it felt like the closer I became to finding out the third cat. He or she wasn't a WindClan cat, nor a ShadowClan cat, or a ThunderClan cat. But perhaps a RiverClan cat?

"Dawnpaw, time to head back," Hawkheart's voice interrupted my thoughts, making me want to turn around and rake my claws down his pelt.

"Can I stay here and think for a while longer?" I asked, my eyes flickering open.

"You are able to, yes. But come on." Hawkheart's glare raked through my pelt.

"May I stay here and think more?" I retorted, turning around to return the glare.

"Yes, you may." He snatched up the leaves he could find of Dock and trotted back to camp, leaving me alone.

Finally! I thought with a sigh of relief. It had been a whole moon since Pikestar took over ShadowClan and two moons since WindClan took over RiverClan camp. We put our elders and queens there with a few warriors to guard them.

At least a moon ago my sister was put in there with Talltail's kits, Redkit and Mothkit. He's been sitting in there watching them since the third one died; they named him Swiftkit for his small figure, long legs, and black pelt.

I watched Russetpaw and Reedfeather train in front of me.

Russetpaw went up to his hind legs and hit his mentor right on the head, Reedfeather was dazed and my brother took his chance. He tripped him and then pinned him down.

My brother finally beat his mentor. I was quite surprised Reedfeather hadn't talked to Heatherstar about making Russetpaw a warrior. He'd mastered every battle move and hunting move, and came up with some of his own. I was surprised I wasn't a warrior yet.

Hawkheart was getting old, soon he would die and I was ready to take on the responsibility of a full medicine cat. And Russetpaw was ready to take on the responsibility of being a warrior.

"Very good, Russetpaw. But this time try to bite my tail as well as scratch my pelt, okay?" Reedfeather suggested with a casual tone.

Russetpaw nodded and got in battle position. He'd become very open to suggetions towards his battle moves.

I turned around and jumped off the large rock, then walked towards camp, my waving to and fro.

"Dawnpaw!" Littlepaw shouted, racing over.

"What?" I asked, looking at him with a curious gaze.

"Have you seen Cloudpool?" He let out a sigh. "I haven't seen her since yesterday. She went to catch some prey and never came back."

I shook my head. "Haven't seen her, sorry."

Shrewclaw walked up to Littlepaw. "I can teach you some battle moves if you like, Littlepaw?"

"Yes please!" Littlepaw replied, sounding eager to learn something.

Cherrypaw and Dawnstripe were at the entrance of camp, practicing easy battle moves since Talltail stayed with Cinderleaf all the time.

I nodded to them and they both dipped their heads respectfully and continued their practice.

I entered camp where Heatherstar was sharing a piece of prey with Hawkheart.

"Hello," I purred, sitting down in front of them. "Mind if I join?"

"Not at all, please do join us," Heatherstar mewed with a smile. "We were just discussing Russetpaw's progress. I was thinking about maybe making him a warrior."