Chapter Six: Betrayal

CHAPTER 6

The dim morning light shone dimly through a crack in the warriors den, waking me from my sleep. I opened an eye, the sunlight shining in my eyes and causing irritation to seep through me.

I sat up and glanced at the cats around me: Talltail, who finally left the nursery, Shrewclaw, and Cloudpool. I jumped over my mother and exited the den, careful not to step on Talltail's tail.

The clearing was bright as it buzzed with activity. Reedfeather led Dawnstripe and Littlepaw out on patrol and Dawnpaw was showing Cherrypaw how to put brambles up on the nursery.

I quickly padded over to Heatherstar who glanced up at me from talking to Hawkheart.

"How did we sleep last night?" I asked, sitting down beside them.

"Wonderful, thanks for asking Russettail," Hawkheart replied, trotting away.

"I slept lovely, thank you." She dipped her head. "Can I help you with something?"

"I want to know why we haven't attack ThunderClan's camp yet," I replied, watching Dawnpaw out of the corner of my eye.

"Because we're waiting for RiverClan to attack their own camp. Which should be tomorrow night if we're lucky. Then we'll strike back with ShadowClan on our side. We will be prepared and chase them back to ThunderClan camp," she stated.

"Shouldn't we be there setting up traps?" I asked, licking my paw.

"Talltail, Shrewclaw, Cloudpool, Cinderleaf, and her kits got that job," she mewed, looking behind me.

I glanced behind me, seeing Mothkit and Redkit chasing after Cinderleaf's tail. "Well, good luck with that." I stood up and walked towards the camp entrance, exiting the camp.

As soon as I was out of camp I could see the light snow falling from the sky. The snow beneath me crunched under my paws.

"Russettail, wait up!" Shrewclaw called, walking up to me.

"Don't you have traps to set?" I grumbled, feeling the irritation seeping up again.

"Nope, I quit that patrol. The kits would only get in the way. And they shouldn't even be traveling over there anyways. Kits are suppose to leave camp," she replied with a flick of her tail.

"Exactly!" I agreed and shook my head. "Heatherstar seems to think they'll be useful."

"When they're apprentices they will be. They should be soon here, at least less than three moons." Shrewclaw watched the snow on the ground.

"How do you feel about RiverClan taking back their camp?" I asked now, glancing at her.

Shrewclaw's ears pricked. "I'm okay with the idea. But if Heatherstar commands us to attack, then I will do as she asks," she replied calmly. "What about you?"

I shrugged. "Heatherstar doesn't know that I hate the idea. I only told her because Dawnpaw-"

The she-cat snorted. "You told Heatherstar to get Dawnpaw mad, Russettail. You really don't have to lie to me."

Blinking at her in surprise and I let out a laugh. "Just don't tell Dawnpaw, okay?"

"Why are you trying to get her mad at you?" the dark brown she-cat asked with a flick of her tail as we continued to walk away from camp.

"I don't want to hurt her from what I'm about to do," I mumbled, looking at the sky where the snow continued to fall.

"What are you about to do?"