Chapter Sixteen: The Beginning

CHAPTER 16

The camp looked almost fine. The apprentice's den was wrecked and the fresh-kill was gone, but Russettail sent out WindClan's finest hunters, Shadeclaw, Cinderleaf, Whitefang, and Moonfall, on a hunting patrol while Reedstar led Cherryheart and Shrewclaw to the DarkClan border, leaving the rest of us to fix camp.

Russettail told me to get rocks and fix the fresh-kill pile and I did as he asked, carefully setting rocks in the middle of camp to make the fresh-kill pile and then getting out my claws and digging a small indent in the ground.

I knew my brother would be proud of me for getting my warrior name. I gave him one as well: Pineheart. He would've loved it, but that hole swallowed him up by the DarkClan border and StarClan took him.

Dawnpool and Mothflower approached me slowly, glancing at each other awkwardly. They looked at me.

"Greetings, Whitefoot!" Mothflower purred while Dawnpool growled something I couldn't hear to her. "W-we need to tell you something..." They were acting weird.

My ears pricked with interest. A day before the battle and all I could think about was those fleabags squashing my neck.

"You're in a prophecy. StarClan sent me a sign. An apprentice in a fire, her leafy-green eyes flashing at me..." Dawnpool mewed nervously and glanced at Mothflower who nodded. "Three will become Four or Darkness will rule."

A prophecy? Me? What can I do that's so special? Have they both gone crazy!? I thought silently, looking at them wide-eyed. "Who's the other cat?"

Mothflower spoke up before Dawnpool could, "Russettail. He's just busy with the camp." Her hazel eyes didn't give away anything, but I could feel a strong emotion of sorrow coming off her and from Dawnpool, pity.

I wanted to growl at them, to back off and go away, but I knew better. Although Pinepaw died, I was still strong. "We're supposed to be the heroes against DarkClan, right?" I rolled my eyes lightly.

They both nodded and Russettail padded up, his broad shoulders and rippling muscles made me feel jealous because how small I was.

"What they say is true. Will you help us defeat DarkClan?" Russettail asked, his head held high as if he was proud of me, a small she-cat that was almost disappointed in herself?

The emotion of pride and care came off his pelt. "Yes, I will," I told them quickly, gazing at Russettail. As they all began to smile I could feel myself inching towards Russettail, feeling my pelt brushing his a little, I purred but he looked down at me with uncertainty.

Moonfall padded up, eyeing me with annoyance. "Russettail, Whitefang needs help with this bracken..."

While Russettail was talking, I watched my sister. She was quite beautiful: her dark gray pelt shining in the sunlight making her seem a little blue while her light blue eyes shined with happiness even though anger and disappointment came off her pelt.

"Whitefoot?" Moonfall made me shake my head and look around, noticing Dawnpool, Mothflower, and Russettail walked off.

I felt disappointment and then tilted my head. "Yes, Moonfall?" I asked with stubbornness in my voice, irritated she'd ruined my moment with Russettail.

"You know how much Russettail means to me!" she growled softly. "Don't do this to me..." Her voice held a plea.

My eyes darkened and I felt myself struggled not to yell. "Fine! Just don't blame me if I moon over him..." I turned around and looked at the sinking sun. I had been mooning over Russettail since we were kits, but he never noticed me. He only noticed Moonfall.