Chapter Nine: Hatred

CHAPTER 9

Redkit jumped on Mothkit and she stumbled backwards quickly, bumping right into Dawnpool who dropped herbs everywhere.

"Sorry, Dawnpool!" Mothkit squealed. "Here, let me help you!"

My eyes glowed as I watched the kit quickly pick up the herbs and give them back to the medicine cat who smiled warmly.

"Russettail?" Redkit's voice broke my thoughts and I turned to him curiously.

"Yes?" Redkit was hauntingly similar to Redclaw.

"Isn't tonight a Gathering? Because if it is I want you to tell me everything that happens when you come back!" he announced with shining eyes.

"Of course, Redkit." I dipped my head and smiled at him. "Your wish is my command!" I joked, feeling myself heat up in happiness.

He squealed and pounced on a leaf, rolling away.

I walked to the medicine den and glanced around. "Dawnpool? Are you in here? Hello?"

"Right here, Russettail. What do you need?" She only gave me a quick glance and continued to sort her herbs.

"Do you think Redkit could be the Third cat?" I asked as I tilted his head.

My sister stopped and looked at me. "I haven't really thought about the prophecy in a while... After Hawkheart died I sort of put everything else on hold..." she admitted.

"What prophecy?" Mothkit's head popped out of the back den.

I closed my eyes and shook my head. Dawnpool, you rabbit-brain! I thought. "We didn't say anything about a prophecy," I lied easily. It was a kit, who would trust her word over mine?

Dawnpool blinked as if she silently cursing herself. She seemed to have forgotten Mothkit was in the den. "You can go now, Mothkit."

The kit bounced out of the den, squealing excitedly.

"All those who can catch rabbits join here beneath the Tallrock for a Clan meeting!" Reedstar yowled.

Russettail turned around, Dawnpool following behind slowly.

When everyone had entered the clearing and settled down and Reedstar continued, "ThunderClan was caught on WindClan territory stealing prey. Cloudpool informed me this morning. Talltail, Russettail and Flowerwhisker, I want you to go to their camp and warn them away."

Talltail dipped his head. "And if they refuse, Reedstar?"

"Then tell them if we see them on our territory again, we'll rip them to shreds," he growled and jumped down from the rock and disappeared into the crowd.

I flicked my tail and gathered the patrol and we quickly left the camp.

We headed towards the Steppe where Cloudpool sat silently, only nodding to us and focusing back on the sky above.

Passing her I heard Flowerwhisker mumble something in Talltail's ear.

"Do we have a problem?" I asked, turning around to face them with glaring eyes.

Flowerwhisker shook her head and shoved past me, walking ahead while Talltail fell in step beside me as we followed the younger she-cat.

"You don't have to be so hard on her, Russettail," he whispered.

"But if I don't then she'll think she can do what she wants when she wants to. And Reedstar won't very happy with anyone," I replied as we passed the Flatlands.