Chapter Seventeen: ThunderClan

CHAPTER 17

I focused all my energy on Russettail's leg. It didn't seem to want to heal with normal herbs so maybe I could bind it together with my healing powers. It moved slowly and Russettail was clenching his jaw tightly in pain. Then, suddenly, it snapped into place and Russettail let out a yowl of pain, his claws digging into the ground, and then he sniffed his leg.

"You fixed my leg!" he breathed, looking at me with his wide dark green eyes full of happiness and surprise.

My surprise overcame me and I knew that this could only happen between us, but something I could cheat with once in a while. Without Dawnpool, the injuries had been overwhelming me lately. "Thank you, thank you!" I purred happily. "I am the amazing Mothflower-o!"

The deputy let out a small laugh and then glanced around, a shadow overcoming our fun. "I miss Dawnpool. I wish Goldenstar hadn't killed her..."

I swallowed down my sadness and disappointment. "It's been a little over a moon, Russettail. We need to move on..."

He nodded. "I know. Speaking of which, Moonfall should move to the nursery soon... And Mudkit and Firekit will be apprenticed in three moons and not long before that Sweetheart will have her kits!" he purred excitedly.

She nodded. "I've been saving the proper herbs for the queens. I'll make sure everything goes smoothly," she promised and then Russettail exited the den and Whitefoot entered.

The fluffy white she-cat laid on her back and glanced at the wound on her stomach.

As I examined the wound I remembered the she-rouge that joined us in battle. How she came back and was accepted into the Clan as Thistlepaw, Flowerwhisker as her mentor. Thistlepaw had only come to her once with a scratch on her side from a piece of bracken so I hadn't really gotten to know her.

"Mothflower?" Whitefoot's mew broke my thoughts.

I glanced at the warrior and put on a fake smile. "You don't have to come back anymore, Whitefoot. Seems all healed up. Just tonight before the Gathering if it starts to itch or burn come to me and I'll give you a Poppy Seed."

She nodded and stood up, shaking her pelt out. She left the den without another word.

Looking at the herbs I had, I listed them off, "Blackberry Leaves, Borage Leaves, Burnet, plenty of unneeded Catmint, Chamomile, Cobwebs, Coltsfoot, Comfrey Root, Dandelions, little bit of Dock, Goldenrod, Juniper Berries, Poppy Seeds, Mallow Leaves, Marigold, Raspberry Leaves, Stinging Nettle, Tansy, Thyme, and Yarrow..." My eyes widened for a second as I realized I was missing something for Moonfall and Sweetheart's birth.

I rushed out of the den and bumped into Mousepaw, but I walked past and stumbled to Whitefang who was getting ready to go on patrol with Flowerwhisker, Thistlepaw, and Littlecloud.

"Hey guys," I mewed, "can you look for Parsley? It's a long-stemmed plant with ragged-edged crinkly leaves and a very sharp scent. You can't miss it."

Whitefang nodded at me with a smile. "Of course, Mothflower. We'll look our hardest!" he promised and then padded out, the patrol following after.

Taking a deep breath, I watched Firekit and Mudkit tussle across the clearing for a moss ball that Mousepaw threw out of the apprentice's den.

Shadeclaw watched him calmly, his eyes flashing as I sat beside him.

"Is he working hard or hardly work?" I laughed and he snickered.

The large tom glanced at me with his dark green eyes. "He's doing very well. His fighting skills are higher than they should be even though he just came out of the nursery. But I still have plenty to teach him."