Chapter Twelve: The Darkness

CHAPTER 12

Talltail lay in the nest, his eyes closed and his chest not moving. I had a strange feeling as Dawnpool poked him and a wail escaped my throat.

"Go get Cinderleaf!" she commanded, urgency in her voice. "Now!" I felt my stomach drop in fear.

I raced out of the den and into the clearing where Cinderleaf was talking to Redpaw by the entrance of camp.

"Cinderleaf, Dawnpool needs you! Hurry up!" I pointed my tail towards the den and she raced inside but I stayed where I was, waiting for the wail of loss and hurt from my mother.

"Talltail!" her screech of pain rung through the clearing and I felt myself shiver in fear.

She stumbled out of the den, her eyes watery she went to Redpaw who looked up at her from his rabbit.

Dawnpool was suddenly next to me. "I'm so sorry Mothpaw."

Talltail had caught Greencough and it turned to Blackcough almost instantly. I knew he would die this moon, I just didn't think it would be this hard to cry for my father.

All I could do was glance up at her, too numb to move or speak. My eyes teared up as Cinderleaf walked to me, wrapping her tail around me. Redpaw stood where he was, not a word came from his mouth.

Reedstar raced into the clearing, a rabbit in his jaws. "I heard screaming! Is everyone alright?" he asked in a muffled voice.

Cinderleaf whipped around. "Everything is not alright! Talltail is dead. And it's all your fault!" she growled at him, her tail lashing.

He looked puzzled and set the rabbit down. "My fault?"

"If you had stopped him from leaving us to check on ThunderClan then he'd still be here! ThunderClan is infested with the Cough!" Cinderleaf explained and then she raced out of camp.

Whitefang walked up to me. "Can I help you to your nest?" Compassion and sorrow was in his big light blue eyes.

"Yes, please." I managed to stand up and he led me to my nest where I plopped down and closed my eyes, sighing. "Thank you Whitefang."

"Anytime Mothpaw." I could tell he'd sat down in front of me. "I'll get his body out of here..." I heard him shift around but I didn't bother looking at him. I couldn't stand seeing my father's lifeless body again.

I just nodded and drifted to sleep.

***

A loud yowl woke me up. My eyes flickered open and I exited the den. Talltail's body was already gone and Reedstar stood on the Tallrock, Russettail beneath it.

"As you all know, Talltail roams StarClan now. May we all miss him and hope he has a safe journey to StarClan. He's been buried by the Steppe. Anything else to add?" Reedstar's eyes landed on Dawnstripe.

"I have something to share!" Dawnstripe yowled and stood up. "I'm having kits!"

"There's plenty of room in the nursery," Shrewclaw mewed from the entrance of the den with her kits playing in front of her.

"More kits for WindClan," Reedstar purred and then jumped down from the rock, approaching his mate.

My heart pounded. What if ShadowClan comes back with more warriors? What will we do then when we are at our weakest? I thought and shook out my fur.

"Feeling better?" Whitefang was standing beside me, his head tilted and eyes shining.

I nodded. "Much better. Thank you..." My heart pounded as I stood up. I felt like he was suffocating me. "I'm going to go for a walk. If Dawnpool asks where I've went tell her I went to look for Catmint."