Chapter Twenty: My Deputy

CHAPTER 20

"I name you Blackpaw, your mentor will be Thistletail!" I announced my tail flicking I watched the two touch noses, then pad out of camp quickly.

Sweetheart remained in the nursery with my kits and Whitefoot joined her, having kits that I didn't know who the father is, my kits were now four moons old. It'd had only been a moon and the Gathering was normal, seeing as nothing had happened besides the DarkClan cats coming.

I watched as Thistletail assigned the three of them with Littlecloud and Mousefang on a battle training patrol while the rest of the cats did something more useful like hunting and border patrols in this snowy weather.

"And Dawnpool can lead a border patrol with Firelily and Whitefang," Thistletail finished and quickly everyone gather their patrols and left camp.

Everything looked deserted but as I trotted over to my kits their ears pricked with excitement and it instantly made me feel better.

"Russetstar!" Morningkit yowled, jumping onto my back and hanging on as I sat down I felt her tumble off and then joined her brother.

Sitting down I wrapped my tail around my paws and gazed down at them. "Four moons old now, huh?"

Graykit lifted his head high. "I'm going to be the best warrior ever!" he vowed.

"No, I'm going to be the best warrior ever!" Morningkit growled and then tackled him, pinning him to the ground I watched with amusement.

Firelily can be Morningkit's mentor and Graykit's mentor can be... I thought for a moment, my paw kneading the ground. Mudpelt! They can train apprentices together! Leaving the two kits to tussle, I padded back to Thistletail who was enjoying a rabbit outside of the warrior's den.

"Good morning, Russetstar," she purred, taking another bite.

I dipped my head at my deputy. "Morningkit's mentor I was thinking Firelily. They both want to be brilliant warriors and-"

"And," Thistletail continued for me, "they both are strong and good at fighting." She licked her claw, finishing her rabbit she shoved the rest to me.

Without hesitation, I took a large bite out of it and chewed, swallowed and then mewed, "Graykit's mentor I was thinking Mudpelt. They think alike and-"

The she-cat cut me off again, "And they both like to follow the warrior code and the two can train together." Thistletail nodded at me. "Very good choices. But you still have another moon."

I nodded, my tail flicking in impatience. "I'm excited to do their ceremony," I admitted.

"Russetstar!" Scratchtail bursted into camp, breathing heavily. "Blackpaw has started a fight with a RiverClan apprentice!"

Without hesitation, I looked at Thistletail and then raced out of camp, hearing Scratchtail and Thistletail behind me. I pelted towards the RiverClan and WindClan border, jumping over the stream I saw Blackpaw and a silver-gray she-cat, the she-cat bleeding heavily.

"Blackpaw," I yowled and the two broke apart, staring up at me I saw Timberfur and Beetlenose. "Is this really acceptable?"

Timberfur glared at me, his red eyes flashing. "Silverpaw could take that no good DarkClan cat!"

My eyes narrowed and I felt my fur bristle but I tried to stay calm. "Blackpaw is WindClan now and the DarkClan cats have gone. You must learn to respect that."

Beetlenose stepped over the border and shoved his face in mine. "Sweetheart is DarkClan which makes Blackpaw DarkClan! And no one can change that!" he snarled.