Chapter Eight: The Barn

CHAPTER 8

The snow fell harder as I entered camp, carrying the few leaves that were left of the Borage. I felt the crunch of the snow beneath my paws and I shivered and shook my pelt of all the snow.

"Get them?" Hawkheart asked, racing to me. "With Shrewclaw's kits coming I want to have lots of Borage." He grasped them in his mouth gently and flicked his tail at the Fresh-kill pile and then walked to the medicine cats den.

I grabbed a rabbit from the pile and bounded after my mentor, smiling with glee.

"Okay, we'll have just enough for Shrewclaw and then I gave Heatherstar what I could find of the Catmint but she's getting worse so.. Perhaps it's time to give up on making her better..." He paused and then growled, hitting the wall with his claws in frustration.

"Hawkheart!" I squealed after swallowing the bite of rabbit I had in my mouth. We had Talltail in the den with a sore throat and a stomach ache and he jumped up in his nest, looking at him in fear.

My mentor shook his head. "We'll have to goto one of the other Clans to ask for some Catmint," he muttered. "I'll be back tomorrow morning," he stated and then left the den in a hurry.

I looked at Talltail. "Are you feeling any better?"

He shrugged. "It could be worse. I could have Whitecough and be stuck in here all day. But that's pretty much what's how it feels anyways..." He smiled and looked up at me. "I'm great, thanks for asking."

"Be grateful you don't have Whitecough, Talltail. Cinderleaf and your kits still need you." I exited the den into the clearing where Russettail led Cherryheart and Dawnstripe out of camp on a patrol

I padded to the leader's den and cleared my throat loudly to get Heatherstar's attention.

"Come in, Dawnpaw," came the barely audible response.

The den was dark. I could feel the leftovers of prey and old herbs beneath my feet as I padded over to my leader. She was taking in rapid breaths and erupted into a coughing fit.

"How're you feeling?" I mumbled when she'd calmed down, taking a deep breath, smelling the Blackcough on her pelt and breath.

Lying in her nest made her look small and frail. "I'm not feeling much better, if that's what you're trying to ask."

I sighed and shook my head. "You've gotten worse over two days." She was weaker then she should be. But Heatherstar was old, and her time was coming.

The leader nodded. "Can you just leave me for the foxes?" Her voice was a whisper as she shivered from the coldness.

"No," I replied coldly. "You may be my leader but that is something I will not listen to. That's like sacrificing you and I could never do that."

"Dawnpaw," she mumbled, "can't you leave me in that barn that's only a little ways out of the territory? There are rogue cats who live there, I've met them once before."

"Well, I-I could but..." I started into my leaders pleading eyes. "I guess if that's what you want, Heatherstar... But I want Littlecloud to come."

She nodded. "I'll meet you by the camp entrance." Heatherstar rose up out of her nest and she exited the den on wobbly legs. I followed close behind her.

Everyone in the clearing looked up and watched the sick leader as I stuck my head in the warriors den where Littlecloud was curled up in a ball. From his heavy breaths I knew he wasn't sleeping yet. "Littlecloud, we're going on a secret mission."

The tabby tom jumped up excitedly and exited the den, following me to Heatherstar. I definitely missed our old adventures together.

"You're not supposed to leave your nest," he said to Heatherstar with wide eyes.