Chapter Fifteen: The Fourth Cat

CHAPTER 15

Everyone seemed concerned but I could tell by the awkward glances I got, no one really cared.

Peeling my eyes from them I padded towards Reedstar who gave me a sad glance and then he stood and met up with me, mewing softly, "Dawnstripe is going to be okay, the attack wasn't that bad, I promise we won't lose her."

"DarkClan isn't going to give up so easily. That attack was just the beginning." I felt myself holding the sorrow inside of me. His mate had been ambushed, taking a break from her kits to hunt, leaving Mudkit and Firekit with the apprentices who protected them bravely. DarkClan had not been kind to her. It had been a warning about Echofur who Reedstar agreed to give back.

My leader nodded. "I know Dawnpool, but I can handle it." Then he padded towards the nursery where I saw Whitepaw slip in with a plump juicy rabbit.

Russettail was sitting on the other side of the clearing, staring at Moonpaw who was trotting towards Whitefang, her mentor, with some bracken for the warriors den. Her brother seemed to be latched onto the apprentice since the day she was born, and Moonpaw seemed to enjoy it.

DarkClan had grown, according to Russettail. They had another queen that was almost ready for her kits and soon they would be apprenticed, and then warriors within a short period of time they'd die and I knew I had to do something, but what? The prophecy now stated that we were missing another cat.

"Dawnpool!" Whitefang padded towards me, tail moving slowly in a calm motion. "Scratchtail is asking what to put on Dawnstripe's pad. She says it hurts."

I blinked, coming out of my daydream, I was hesitant. "Go ask Mothflower, I'm busy..." I muttered quickly walking out of camp, passing Russettail and Pinepaw who were laughing. They clicked instantly.

The snow was gone and the sun was out, high in the sky with a few clouds giving us some shade once in a while.

A moon had almost passed and the Clan was doing well, soon we'd be fighting DarkClan and I knew Russettail was hesitant to let Pinepaw be a warrior due to Redstorm dying. My brother knew he wouldn't last a second, but he was small and could come in use.

What do I do when the Clan expects me to take care of them? Mothflower won't dare go into battle but I could... I thought and shook my head, knowing it was a mouse-brained idea. I let out a yawn and glanced around, noticing I'd walked to the Steppe, deep in thought.

Light pawsteps made me look up and I saw Reedstar approaching slowly. "Greetings Dawnpool."

My eyes were wide as I examined the leader. He looked old: his muzzle was gray and his pelt was baggy, he looked worn out, and his eyes were dull with pain.

I nodded at him in greeting. "What're you doing out of camp?"

Reedstar sighed, swishing his tail he sat down. "I do believe it is time for Russettail to take over as leader."

I gaped at him. "Are you sure? You still have potential, Reedstar..." My heart pounded. Reedstar only had one life left. I couldn't believe that our leader was dying so soon.

"The DarkClan battle is tomorrow at sunhigh, Dawnpool," he told me. "That will be my last battle. You and Russettail are special cats, Dawnpool. Make sure he leads well."

The battle can't be tomorrow! We have to find that last cat! I felt my head swirling with thoughts and I got dizzy as Reedstar kept talking.

Suddenly, a large fire erupted in front of me and a kit was in the middle, it's eyes glowing a leafy-green color. And then it was gone and Reedstar was staring at me with concern.