Chapter Ten: Mothpaw

CHAPTER 10

"And what is this?" Dawnpool held up another herb that was green and smelled minty. I definitely knew this one.

"Catmint," I replied confidently. "It cures Whitecough and Greencough and sometimes Blackcough. Those are all bad illnesses that should be treated immediately and can only happen in Leaf-bare or Leaf-fall."

"Very good," my mentor nodded, giving her approval.

I lifted my head proudly and glanced at the nearest nest where Scratchtail sat, rolling his eyes. He definitely didn't like medicine cat duties.

"Why am I here again?" he asked with a flick of his gray tail.

"To teach Mothpaw a few battle moves. Even though she's a medicine cat she stills needs to know a few battles moves just in case," Dawnpool replied, exiting the den.

Scratchtail glared at me. "I have better things to do than teach a medicine cat. Consider yourself lucky." He followed Dawnpool out of den.

I flinched but followed him out of camp to the side of camp where Dawnpool waited.

"Ready?" He faced me, his size was a little alarming.

I nodded but silently I wished this was over with as he lunged at me I managed to slip out of the way and raked my paw down his side.

He whipped around and batted me across the face and I fell down onto the ground and began to nip at his paws, watching him jump around.

"Stop!" Dawnpool shouted as he growled at me. "Scratchtail, you fight like you're still an apprentice." She bursted out laughing.

My eyes flickered to Scratchtail who whipped around and raced away.

"I hope he knows I was just messing around with him.." she mumbled and shook her head.

"Can I go find him?" I asked as I backed away, turning around and running the way he was running towards.

I found him by the border the separated us and the rogues and loners. "Are you okay?"

"When I was a kittypet, everything was so much easier," he whispered, glancing at me with big green eyes.

"You aren't going to go back are you?" I asked, concerned.

"Of course not. I have to admit, I've thought about it.. But I can't leave WindClan, or my sister. We belong here." He looked behind me at the camp.

I blinked and looked at the ground. "Well, I won't blame you if you leave.." I mumbled. "It's going to get harder you know."

"I'm not leaving," he replied calmly. "I'm better off here where I have a Clan to watch my back during battles." He glanced at the sun. "Come on, let's get back to camp."

Scratchtail and I entered camp, the snow under us was crunching as we stepped on it.

Cloudpool raced up to us. "Reedstar announced that we aren't going to take over Sunningrocks! But he wants you and Dawnpool to goto ShadowClan camp..."

I glanced at Scratchtail who looked at me. "Why do I have to go?"

"Because we want to make sure that there warriors are okay from the current battle they just had!" Cloudpool explained as Dawnpool walked up. "Now go!"

I stumbled out of camp and began rapidly walking towards ShadowClan's camp, Dawnpool was struggling to catch up. I just wanted to be back in my nest.

Dawnpool raced across the empty Thunderpath and to their camp where we slowed down to a walk as we neared the camp.

"Thank StarClan!" Dawnpool hissed as Brackenfoot and a few other cats I didn't recognized approached us.