Chapter Thirteen: Whiteberry

CHAPTER 13

I looked at Reedstar carefully. His eyes were clouded in confusion, but he didn't seem as lost as I thought he would be.

"So now this Clan, DarkClan, is this Darkness Mothpaw told me of? And they're supposed to be a bunch of rogues clustered together by LionClan's old leader?" Reedstar was nodding slowly, as if processing the whole thing..

Russettail let out a huff. "Yes. Shadeclaw was going to be their deputy until he realized he didn't want to be part of a rogue Clan because he knew they wouldn't follow the warrior code, Goldenstar never did. Only that Clan has been trained by the Dark Forest..." Russettail looked guilty, shifting his paws and not meeting the leader's eyes.

"What is this Dark Forest you speak of?" Reedstar blinked at his former apprentice.

"A place where all the bad cats that have been declined into StarClan go... Tigerstar, Silverhawk, Mapleshade, Antpelt and several more get trained there, the Clan cats too. They seem to have recruited DarkClan members. I think they want them to take over the Clans, making them all be one: DarkClan," Russettail mewed, his eyes narrowed with pure hatred.

Mothpaw mewed quietly, "How do you know all this Russettail?"

"I was once a victim of them." His head fell in shame.

Reedstar seemed surprised. His own deputy falling victim of such horrible cats. "How's Redpaw's training?" he suddenly asked.

"It's going well. He's almost ready to become a warrior. Why?"

"We'll need him for this upcoming battle," Reedstar mewed, hinting at something.

His ears pricked in excitement. "I can have him do his warrior assignment now!" He exited the den and Mothpaw followed after.

"What about the other Clans? We should tell them." I flicked my tail. I especially wanted the other medicine cats to know.

"I will warn them, not about the prophecy, but about DarkClan at tonight's Gathering." Reedstar quickly exited the den and let out a yowl.

I followed him and sat near my den, Russettail and Redpaw were nowhere to be seen but everyone else was crowded around, eager to listen. Russettail must've been very eager for Redpaw to do his warrior assignment. Mothpaw sat down beside me, gazing up at Reedstar.

"Going to the Gathering tonight will be: Russettail, Dawnpool, Mothpaw, Shadeclaw, Whitefang, Flowerwhisker, and Redpaw," he said in a clear voice, giving me a glance as Russettail raced in, Redpaw following after, Russettail giving him a nod. Redpaw had a rabbit hanging from his jaws. "Redpaw, step forward! He's completed his warrior assignment and is ready to become a warrior!"

Redpaw stepped forward, head high.

"I, Reedstar, leader of WindClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn," he began the ceremony. "Redpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

Redpaw nodded and then mewed loudly, "I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Redpaw, from this moment you will be known as Redstorm. StarClan honors your speed and skill in battle, and we welcome you as a full warrior of WindClan!" He rested his muzzle on the newly made warriors head.

"Redstorm! Redstorm!" the Clan cheered loudly. He lifted his head higher proudly. Mothpaw was the loudest of them all.

"Instead of vigiling you will join us to the Gathering." Reedstar looked up at the sky as the sun fell in the sky. "Let's go!" Then he raced out of camp.