Chapter Three: Trust

CHAPTER 3

"Very good," Reedfeather purred, his eyes shining as I completed my last battle move.

I dipped my head. "Thanks! I worked really hard on that one!" Yeah, with Silverhawk. Guilt sored through me. It had been a whole three moons since I met the real StarClan cat. And I hadn't got one visit from anyone.

"You're ready for your assignment!" Reedfeather was pacing now. "It'll be tomorrow. I promise. And I'll discuss everything with Heatherstar. If she says okay then you're going to be a warrior by tomorrow!"

I blinked at him, his excitement overwhelming. "You are sure in a cheery mood..."

"Heatherstar is going to attack RiverClan's camp! We're going to see if we can take some of their land." He grinned. "Plus my apprentice is going to become a warrior! If I could just get you on that attack patrol..." He began mumbling.

The attack patrol? Me? My heart thumped in my chest. I could become a warrior! I could even get my Clan some land. Swiftstar would be so proud...

When Reedfeather began to hiss at himself, I realized we should be attacking ThunderClan's camp since they were the ones who threatened us, not RiverClan.

"Reedfeather? Why're we attacking RiverClan?" I asked, tilting my head to show my confusion.

"What?" He looked up at me, his eyes shining with worry. "Oh yes, because if RiverClan flee their camp, they'll goto ThunderClan, which is when ShadowClan will attack and then we will attack, it'll be complete bloodshed. And," he continued, "we all know how weak ThunderClan is with Sunstar in charge." Reedfeather flicked his tail.

"So, what is the reason we're attacking RiverClan's camp?"

"We want to overrun RiverClan's camp, it'll set fear into them."

"Why?"

"Because we're always known as the weakest Clan, and Heatherstar wants to prove them wrong."

"But that's what we're best at, being weak and little."

"Not anymore."

"But that isn't fair to RiverClan or ThunderClan..." I mewed in disbelief.

"ThunderClan will kick them out after a while, and then RiverClan will have to fight for their land back. That's when the real plan cracks," Reedfeather told me.

"And what is the 'plan'?" I asked in confusion. It felt like he was just avoiding the question.

Reedfeather growled to himself. "I've already said too much. We must get back to camp now. We need to discuss your warrior ceremony!" He raced away and I followed slowly.

***

Dawnpaw raced up to me as we entered camp. "Are you alright?"

I blinked. "Uh, yeah. Why?"

She shifted her paws awkwardly. "No reason... So, did you hear about us invading RiverClan?"

My eyes narrowed but I nodded. Why was she acting so weird? "It sounds great!"

"Besides the fact that it's going to be two days from now and Hawkheart and I aren't prepared for it." She sighed. "We keep asking patrols to come back with some herbs, but they haven't found anything."

I shrugged. "It isn't really the time for herb picking. It'll be Leaf-bare in less than a moon." I glanced at the darkening sky.

She nodded. "So, are we cool?"