Chapter 8

"Ready for another day on the job?" Mia asks as I enter the kitchen.

"Always am."

"You're quite the optimistic today," Mia comments as she hands me two warm Pop-Tarts.

"I try," I respond before taking a bite from my strawberry Pop-Tart.

"Here. Have some milk." She hands me a glass of cold milk and I gladly accept it with a simple thanks. "You're welcome. Now hurry. We don't want to be late." I nod my head and quickly eat my Pop-Tarts while taking sips of milk in between.

"I'm ready," I tell Mia after washing my glass. 

"Okay, let's go."

"You're rather impatient today," I comment as I grab my stuff and follow her out the door.

"Sorry, I just want to get this day over with."

"Any reason in particular?" I ask curiously.

"I kind of have a date," Mia admits and brushes a strand of hair behind her ear.

"That's great!" I say cheerily.

"You really think so?"

"Yeah, of course."

"I'm kind of nervous because I haven't been on an official date in a while."

"You'll be fine," I reassure her as we get into my car.

"I really hope so, because I really like this guy."

"I'm sure everything will be fine. Just be yourself."

"I always am and that's what worries me. What if I come off too strong and he doesn't like me?"

"Well, then it's his loss. You're an amazing person, Mia. Anyone would be lucky to have you in their life."

"You really mean that?" she asks me and I can tell she is on the verge of tears. She rarely gets this worked up about anything. Clearly, whoever she is going on a date with means a lot to her. I just hope he doesn't hurt her.

"Every word."

"I love you." She pulls me in for a hug as best as she can in the small space of my car and I hug her back.

"Love you too," I murmur.

"Let's make a promise," she tells me as she pulls back. "If we end up being single ladies when we are old and gray, let's just live together and buy like a hundred cats or puppies."

"Or both," I suggest with a laugh. "I don't think it will come to that, but if it does, I would be more than happy to be your roommate for life."

"For life," she repeats and holds out her pinky to me. I wrap my pinky around hers and together we make a pinky promise. "Now let's get going before we're late to work and have to explain our promise to Betty. She'd probably think we're crazy for making a promise like this when we're so young and have years ahead of us to date."

"Yeah, probably," Mia says with a laugh as I drive off in direction of the bridal shop. "Do you think we'll get any crying brides today?" Mia asks out of the blue, changing the subject.

"I sure hope not, but if we do we'll deal with it as best as we can."

"Well, you will because I'm terrible at dealing with crying brides. They're so hard to console."

"You can say that again."

"Do you ever wonder what kind of bride you're going to be when it's your time to get married?"

"If I get married," I remind her. "I need a fiancé first and I can't even get a boyfriend, so marriage seems very unlikely in my future."

"Don't be such a negative Nancy."