Chapter 30

Time slows down as I stare at his back.

Seconds slowly turn to minutes but he doesn't say anything. He just stands there with his head hanging low.

I bite my lip as I fight back the tears that are threatening to spill and turn to Johnny with a defeated look in my eyes. I can see pity etched on his face, but right now the last thing I need is him feeling sorry for me. I just want this night to be over.

"I'll do it," Nate finally says and I quickly turn my head in his direction, not believing my ears.

"You will?" I ask in disbelief.

He nods.

I feel my heart pound a mile a minute, and have the sudden urge to cry, but this time it's not out of sadness. It's out of sheer relief.

"Thank you," I say in a small voice but hesitate when I think about Mia and Gracie. I can't leave them behind. I came here with them.

I turn to Johnny and see that he's smiling. He's actually smiling. I can't help but smile back. I know that none of this is easy for him, not when he loves me the way he does, but to him, my happiness is far more important than anything he could ever feel for me, and that is how true love should be.

Selfless.

When you truly love someone, you should always put their happiness before yours, even if it means sacrificing your own heart, and that is exactly what Johnny is doing for me. He's putting his feelings to the side and pushing me to fight for my own happiness.

I was determined to do the same thing for Nate not too long ago because his happiness is and always will be my priority. It doesn't matter what has happened between us. I just want him to be happy again and will do whatever it takes to make it happen, even if it means sacrificing my own happiness. My love for Nate knows no bounds.

"Go," Johnny tells me. "I'll take your friends home and make sure they get home safe," he reassures me and I give him my thanks.

I quickly say goodbye to Mia and Gracie and walk over to Nate.

"I'm ready."

He nods but doesn't say anything. His silence makes me a bit nervous and puts me on edge, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Nate starts walking and I follow after him as he weaves his way through the crowd of bodies that are gyrating every which way but as I follow him and try and keep up, people begin to bump me and get in my way, which slows me down immensely in my drunken state.

I yell out to Nate hoping he can hear me over the loud music but he just keeps walking, putting more and more distance between us. I try and walk faster to catch up but in the process, I stumble and fall on my hands and knees. I hear some loud collective gasps but no one comes to my aid.

No surprise there.

I sit back on my knees and feel the room spin around me.

Fuck! Why did I have to go and get drunk?

I close my eyes and wait for the spinning sensation to stop before opening my eyes again. I wipe my scuffed up hands on my pants and try to stand back up only to fall back down onto my knees.

I look around helplessly and notice that people are starting to stare at me.

"Nate," I call out but it's useless. He's long gone and I am surrounded by a crowd of people who couldn't be bothered to help me.

"What are you looking at?" I yell angrily, on the verge of tears when a hand appears in front of me. I look up and immediately feel relief wash over me when my eyes connect with Nate's. "You came back for me?" I ask him as I put my hand in his. He pulls me up and helps me onto my feet. I can feel peoples stares on us but I couldn't be bothered to care. Not now.