Chapter 32

Days turn to weeks and I don't see Nate again. Not once. I don't know how he does it but he manages to stay out of sight, but that whole "out of sight, out of mind" crap is a load of BS. I haven't seen him in a month and I still love him as much as I wish I didn't. It would make things a hell of a lot easier if my damn heart would just stop pining after the man, but the heart wants what it wants and my heart wants Nathaniel Carter.

As much as I've tried to avoid him like the plague, today fate has intervened and is forcing us back together. I'm not looking forward to it one bit, because seeing him again will no doubt do a number on my heart. But I don't have a choice in the matter. As one of Gracie's bridesmaids, I am expected to be at her Bridal slash Groom Shower that she's throwing for herself and Jared.

I love the idea and think it's absolutely genius because grooms deserve to be celebrated just as much as the bride, but I wish Nate wasn't going to be there. He's her brother though and the only reason I became part of the wedding to begin with, so it can't be helped. It's going to be awkward seeing him after the last time we talked, which also happened to be the day I had a hangover from hell, but life is funny like that sometimes. It gets you down and gives you hope and then throws you right back in harm's way.

I have no idea what to expect today but I prepare myself for the worst-case scenario just in case because you can never really know. Luckily for me, I won't be on my own. Mia is coming with me as my plus one.

She told me to ask Johnny first to see if he would go with me and I did, but he refused to join me and told me he would play no part in my little game. I was offended by his accusation because I was not inviting him to make Nate jealous. That was the last thing on my mind, but he could think whatever he wanted.

I told Mia what he said and she was mad at him and happily agreed to be my plus one. I'm kind of relieved she's the one going with me, because if anyone can keep me afloat when I feel like I'm drowning it's her. I need that level of support today because I'm not only going to be facing Nate for the first time in weeks, I'm also going to have to face Miranda, who will probably be all over Nate since I imagine she must know about our breakup by now. I'm not looking forward to seeing her one bit.

"Ready?" Mia asks from my doorway and I nod from where I'm sitting on my bed. "It's going to be okay," she assures me and I sigh.

"I'm not so sure."

"What's the worse that could happen?"

"Nate is with Miranda now," I deadpan.

"That's very unlikely. You have said yourself that he pretty much hates her guts."

"Yeah, but the last time I saw her, she was pretty determined to get her claws into him and we were dating at the time. She clearly has no boundaries, and when you're persistent like she is, you can get your way. Believe me, I know."

"She's a bitch, I get it. I hate her already and I haven't even met her yet, but what you're saying, doesn't sound like anything Nate would do."

"Why are you defending him?"

"I'm not," she says putting up her hands defensively. "I just think you should give him the benefit of the doubt. That's all."

"It's not like I have any other choice, because even if he is dating her, I can't do anything about it."

"I'm sure he's not but if he is, I'll gladly give him a piece of my mind."

"Don't you dare hurt him," I warn her and she smirks.

"If you care so much about him, why don't you fight for him instead of letting someone else take him from you?"

"Because I don't deserve him. Not after I cheated on him."